Hand built wheels Nottingham/Derby

macleod113
macleod113 Posts: 560
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
Does anyone have any recommendations for a wheel builder in the East Midlands. If location isn't really that important as they'll be posted. Where is the best to go?
My budget is around £300. I'm 100kgs and sometimes more (cake). I seem to have killed my 32 spoke planet x's in 3 months and lose spokes on my stock wheels also.

Please help

Paul
Cube Cross 2016
Willier GTR 2014

Comments

• sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    try, mojos in Ilkeston, its a pokey little shop but hes very good at building wheels and has been doing it years, if you tell him what you want, im sure he will sort it for you, and as for repairs hes also very good and cheap :-)
  • J3w3ll3r
    J3w3ll3r Posts: 86
    How about mail order from Harry Rowland, one of the best in the business apparently
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Thank you for the comments guys. much appreciated
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited July 2014
    Mr Rowland won't build with a wide stiff rim like the archetype though. He will build with a narrower rim from ambroisio or mavic though. He does apparantly build a decent wheel, well he does I saw some for a spoke replacment - ambrosio excellelight on camapgnolo hubs. The wheels were quite old and there was good even tension the spokes the breakage was due to fatigue that can happen to the best wheels and will happen a bit more quickly with a narrow shallow rim as it is not very stiff. I cannot suggest any good shop in your area as I do not know any rather than there are not any.

I am sure if you go with Mr Rowland he will advise something apporpraitely stiff or get on the phone to other wheel builders and ask questions you should be able to sort out those that will be decent from those that are not from the repsonces you get.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Mr Rowland won't build with a wide stiff rim like the archetype though. He will build with a narrower rim from ambroisio or mavic though. He does apparantly build a decent wheel, well he does I saw some fo a spoke replacment - ambrosio excellelight on camapgnolo hubs. The wheels were quite old and there was good even tension the spokes the breakage was due to fatigue that can happen to the best wheels and will happen a bit more quickly with a narrow shallow rim as it is not very stiff. I cannot suggest any good shop in your area as I do not know any rather than there are not any.

I am sure if you go with Mr Rowland he will advise something apporpraitely stiff or get on the phone to other wheel builders and ask questions you should be able to sort out those that will be decent from those that are not from the repsonces you get.

Correct...here are a pair of Excellight rims on Campag Record 32H hubs, Sapim race/laser spokes just built in My R's shed. My other pair of HR wheels are Open Pro CD rims on Dura Ace Hubs. Harry builds great wheels but not Archetypes, postage was £15 IIRC

7977635009_f70af957b9_o.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Yawn.... Harry Rowland - the man to go to if you want "boring" but long lasting wheels...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Spokesman - find them on the web. Built me (98kgs) a set of Velocity A23 on Miche hubs with Sapim Race spokes (32/wheel). Light, tight, shape a 25mm tyre up very nicely, very reliable and within your budget.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The one thing going for the A23 is that is wide unfortunately for the same money the Archetype exists and it is a better rim in every measurable way (I am ignoring the 35g weight difference as that is not important in reality).
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    What are your thoughts on the Kinlin XC-279 in comparison to the A23 and Archetype? Do they differ much from the views expressed here?

http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topi ... m-roundup/