resin pad only Shimano rotors?

Bradlad
Bradlad Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi folks

Quick question, just bought two new RT54 rotors which are stamped with RESINPAD ONLY, as stupid as
this question seems going by the stamped warning, would sintered pads work IF I decided to try them
instead of resin pads.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yeah they'll be fine. Most Shimano rotors say that.
  • Bradlad
    Bradlad Posts: 3
    Thanks for reply njee appreciate it, not the most techy minded so thought I'd ask
    before shooting down a ruddy great hill and not stopping..ha ha
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Ran a 180mm Resin Only front disc with sintered pads for about a year and apart from going a nice blue colour a few times it worked just fine. The only noticeable difference was it rusted if left for a week after a wet ride but the rust spots disappeared the first time you used the brake.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    rotor/pads won't last as long and raking won't be as good due to the rotor on any long decents. be fine for XC
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    rotor/pads won't last as long and raking won't be as good due to the rotor on any long decents. be fine for XC
    Rubbish.
    Basically.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    rotor/pads won't last as long and braking won't be as good due to the rotor on any long decents. be fine for XC
    I talk Rubbish.
    Basically.

indeed
  • cooldad
    POAH wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    rotor/pads won't last as long and braking won't be as good due to the rotor on any long decents. be fine for XC
    I talk Rubbish.
    Basically.

indeed
    Even with your sneaky edit (to your own post), still rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    I talk Rubbish.
    Basically.

indeed
    Even with your sneaky edit (to your own post), still rubbish.

its not and you know it
  • cooldad
    What's the difference between Shimano rotors and any one of a number of others? SS etc?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No it really is total rubbish.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    edited July 2014
    cooldad wrote:
    What's the difference between Shimano rotors and any one of a number of others? SS etc?

no idea - resin only rotors aren't heat treated the same as the other shimano rotors hence the resin only label
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    the cheaper shimano rotors arent heat treated to hard them i think.
  • cooldad
    So the answers are 'no idea' and 'I think'?

They might wear quicker (see I don't know either) but my last set lasted six years, 160mm rotors stopping a lardy coward who uses brakes a lot. A lot of that on sintered pads.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:
    So the answers are 'no idea' and 'I think'?

They might wear quicker (see I don't know either) but my last set lasted six years, 160mm rotors stopping a lardy coward who uses brakes a lot. A lot of that on sintered pads.

the answer to difference between cheap shimano and SS is I don't know, the difference between resin only and other shimano is the heat treatment.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So how does the heat treatment affect the friction levels then?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.