Why is Cheng not a GC contender?

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Is he playing it safe? Or pacing himself so he doesn't burn out too soon?

Will Cheng unleash the fury at a later stage and pull a wheelie past Segan going up the Col du Tourmalet?

Come on Cheng ! Yo can do it !
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    They're saving him for the next tour of Beijing
  • ben@31
    Is it a Grand Tour?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ben@31 wrote:
    Is it a Grand Tour?

They paid many grands to get it, so I'd say yes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    This thread is just like so hilarious!
  • ben@31
    GGBiker, Are you doubting the power of Cheng...

... All 50 Watts of it
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    When you secure your place on a pro team you'll have earned the right to make these comments, until then it just comes across as thinly veiled racism, can't say I've seen any other rider come in for this level of abuse but then diversity is limited in the peloton at the moment.
  • GGBiker wrote:
    When you secure your place on a pro team you'll have earned the right to make these comments, until then it just comes across as thinly veiled racism, can't say I've seen any other rider come in for this level of abuse but then diversity is limited in the peloton at the moment.

Erm, this forum genuinely applaudes Cheng Ji, without reference to his ethnic or national background, because of his amazing ability to ride on the front of the peloton for 80km, and because of his reputation as a breakaway killer. The celebration of his status as the current lanterne rouge, or this quasi ironic debate of his potential as a GC rider, is as much about an appreciation of his ability to work selflessly for others as it is anything else.

Go and read the thread entitled ChengWatch and you'll see that the forum has adopted Cheng in the same way that it adopted Vichot.

PS. Messrs Armstrong, Froome, Cavendish and Contador would disagree with you on your last assertion.
  • above_the_cows
    What we LOVE Cheng. What are you on about? CHENG is awesome. How is it racist to be admiring his selfless sacrifice and all round good eggness?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    GGBiker wrote:

Hi, I understand your concern but I think you may have misinterpreted the posts regarding Ji Cheng. As others have mentioned, the posts are in support of Cheng, notably due to the enormous workload he has put in over the first days of the Tour. Many of the comments make light-hearted reference to his strength and stamina in much the same way that Jens Voigt's followers concoct absurd suggestions about his work rate and ability to suffer. We recognise what a fantastic job he is doing. Possibly you have not picked up on this.

You will notice from my avatar that I am back in Hong Kong. Having left a few years ago I returned because I like it so much. Trust me, Hong Kong is not a place to live if you dislike the Chinese as there are about 8 million of them crammed into a very small space and another billion or so just over the border.

I sincerely hope that Cheng gets to Paris and becomes not only the first Chinese rider to start the Tour, but to finish it also. His efforts can only have a positive impact on the development of the sport in China.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Paul 8v
    If you haven't noticed the Cheng love around here I suggest you look harder. there's no joke about it, Cheng's been pulling like a train all tour, chapeau to him!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    pottssteve wrote:
    GGBiker wrote:

Hi, I understand your concern but I think you may have misinterpreted the posts regarding Ji Cheng. As others have mentioned, the posts are in support of Cheng, notably due to the enormous workload he has put in over the first days of the Tour. Many of the comments make light-hearted reference to his strength and stamina in much the same way that Jens Voigt's followers concoct absurd suggestions about his work rate and ability to suffer. We recognise what a fantastic job he is doing. Possibly you have not picked up on this.

You will notice from my avatar that I am back in Hong Kong. Having left a few years ago I returned because I like it so much. Trust me, Hong Kong is not a place to live if you dislike the Chinese as there are about 8 million of them crammed into a very small space and another billion or so just over the border.

I sincerely hope that Cheng gets to Paris and becomes not only the first Chinese rider to start the Tour, but to finish it also. His efforts can only have a positive impact on the development of the sport in China.

Steve
    -This

Cheng is legend and I am another who hopes he reaches Paris, he has ridden so selflessly and also seems to come across really well in interviews.

Back to the subject matter though - He isn't a GC contender as the podium in Paris is not strong enough to cope with that level of awesome in one place.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • above_the_cows
    Cheng cannot win the Tour because the Eiffel Tower would bow down in awe.
  • ben@31
    GGBiker there is no racism intended! My comments are out of admiration for the underdog and I genuinely support him and hope he finishes. Do I think I have what it takes to do the TDF? No of course not.

Maybe you don't get our friendly banter with the underdog. A guy I once worked with summed it up with a good quote
    "When we take the p*** out of a guy, we do it because we love him. You wouldn't go upto a random stranger in the street and start taking the p***."

Maybe Cheng, Giant Shimano and their sponsors are happy to be noticed and receive all this the publicity. Cheng has become a celebrity.

We used to have a street named in Cheng's honour, but it was changed as nobody crosses Cheng and lives.

Cheng is currently suing NBC* claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

*not really.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ben@31 wrote:

... All 50 Watts of it

While agreeing with all the posts saying that we are all commenting out of appreciation, I wonder if it was this very inaccurate one that tipped GGB over the edge.
  • ben@31
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

... All 50 Watts of it

While agreeing with all the posts saying that we are all commenting out of appreciation, I wonder if it was this very inaccurate one that tipped GGB over the edge.

:roll: Do you really think Chen only outputs 50 Watts?
  • Paul 8v
    Cheng's big toe puts out 50 watts
  • Paul 8v
    Is Cheng the Chuck Norris of the pro peloton?
  • ben@31
    451728116.jpg?itok=Z7N8AsNB

Chen sprinting "non-handed" past Segan ??? The French tv cameras must have failed to spot it.
  • symo
    Paul 8v wrote:

No! Chuck Norris can only dream of matching up to Cheng.

Chengs 50Watt measurement is taken from his eyelids opening in the morning, from there the power meters could not cope with the sustained high readings.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Paul 8v wrote:

Pah!

Cheng Ji doesnt have a middle name cuz the Cheng rode the legs off it and the Ji punched it till it was a quivering pile of rotten meant...it slunked away and that is how chuck norris was born..
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ben@31
    edited July 2014
    Good result by the Chengster today. A lot of riders finished behind him on stage 11. Watch out Nibali !

Nibali struggled to extend his lead over our Chen, only managing just another 20 minutes today.

Green Jersey wise. Even some of our Team Sky riders are behind the Chenster.
  • symo
    ben@31 wrote:
    Good result by the Chengster today. A lot of riders finished behind him on stage 11. Watch out Nibali !

Nibali struggled to extend his lead over our Chen, only managing just another 20 minutes today.

Oh man Cheng has him right where he wants him doesn't he? Nibali must be bricking it.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• ben@31
    Cheng playing it tactically?

I reckon if Chen makes a solo breakaway at the start of tomorrows stage, the rest of the peloton have a big pile up in awe and it takes them 2 hours 41 minutes to untangle the carnage. Chen will take it.

Anything can happen in the next 10 stages. Many have burnt themselves out at the start of the tour.
  • ben@31
    Eurosport say melted tarmac* laying on the road could have slowed down the likes of the Chenster.

* Do they mean a Tinkoff-Saxo Tarmarc ?
  • symo
    ben@31 wrote:
    Eurosport say melted tarmac* laying on the road could have slowed down the likes of the Chenster.

* Do they mean a Tinkoff-Saxo Tarmarc ?

No its the wake of Cheng's wheels. Melts the tarmac with sheer awesomeness.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    when Cheng puts the power down his wheels stand still and the earth turns

kneel before the chengmeister
  • ben@31
    How did Chen do on Friday? I did not see any of the stage? Has he made any time up?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ben@31 wrote:
    How did Chen do on Friday? I did not see any of the stage? Has he made any time up?
    He finished with his teammate Degenkolb, two minutes ahead of Kittel and three other Giant riders. He still has a commanding lanterne lead.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ben@31
    Come on Cheng !!! Only 3 30 behind Nibali.