High end Madone & mudguards. Possible?

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I've been gently looking around for a new bike and had a sit on a Madone on a turbo this afternoon. Felt a really nice natural fit - almost identical to my current bike.

Problem is the higher end ones (would probably be looking at a 6.2 or 6.9) don't have a brake bridge, so it's not obvious how to bodge a set of mudguards in. Anybody done it successfully?

(somebody will no doubt tell me to get a winter bike. I don't want a winter bike - I want a nice, light, fast bike to ride all year round, but it needs to be able to take clip on guards for the 9 months of the year that aren't dry)

Thanks!

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Will crud roadracers or SKS raceblades not fit?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • JonEdwards wrote:
    (somebody will no doubt tell me to get a winter bike. I don't want a winter bike - I want a nice, light, fast bike to ride all year round,

Those thinks aren't mutually exclusive
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • JonEdwards
    Will crud roadracers or SKS raceblades not fit?
    There's nothing to attach them to where they pass through the seatstays.
    1361472478180-1t8fdlzvxvk43-700-80.jpg
    Those things aren't mutually exclusive
    Ok, recommend me something? Looking for a 55cm TT, ~15cm HT, short stays, snappy handling and as I'm 63kg, like climbing and live in the Peaks - as light as possible.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Couple of friends use Madones on longer rides - cruds successfully deployed front and rear. One friend has a 4.something with cruds and a 2.something (aluminium) with full guards.
  • JonEdwards
    All the frames of 4.x and below have brakes mounted in the normal place (and indeed removable mudguard eyes like the Domanes), so it's easy to fit guards. The 5.x and above all have a different frame design - no brake bridge and the rear brake caliper is mounted below the BB, and it's those I'm asking about.