Body armour in the Peleton

alan_sherman
alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Crashes. Too many. So will we start to see riders wearing a bit more protection so they can get up and ride again? Will the UCI allow it? Will we start seeing sprinters 'pad-up? God knows what it feels like to hit tarmac wearing lycra at 40 mph.

I've hit the deck only a couple of times and always wear mitts so my hands are protected, I could see ankle, elbow, hip and knee protection (even if only abrasion protection) may be of use.

Leather chaps perhaps? Maybe for riders from Bavaria.
Leather elbow patches? That would fit with the hipster look that is taking over mainstream cycling.
Knee patches would be hard, and give horrible tan lines.

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Too heavy and not aero, so I don't think so.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    pottssteve wrote:

Certainly not for Cheng. Cheng IS body armour.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    (easier not to bother)
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    pottssteve wrote:

Certainly not for Cheng. Cheng IS body armour.

Can you even get injured when cycling at such a slow speed? It would be like toppling over at a standstill :)
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Crashes. Too many. So will we start to see riders wearing a bit more protection so they can get up and ride again? Will the UCI allow it? Will we start seeing sprinters 'pad-up? God knows what it feels like to hit tarmac wearing lycra at 40 mph.

I've hit the deck only a couple of times and always wear mitts so my hands are protected, I could see ankle, elbow, hip and knee protection (even if only abrasion protection) may be of use.
    I met someone a couple of months ago who'd started looking seriously at the possibility of producing lightweight pads to be made from kevlar or similar and worn under the kit on thighs and elbows, to provide some protection from road rash. He'd lost most of the skin from his back in a stage race in the US (whilst wearing the yellow jersey) and decided something that could enable him to ride on after sliding along the road would have been a good idea. He saw it being most useful in crits, for amateurs who aren't paid to get hurt.

I don't see why the UCI wouldn't allow that kind of innovation, although there's a big difference between protection from abrasions and preventing the kind of injuries that did for Phinney, Froome, Frank and Contador.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Airbags. They use them in motogp.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    XC racers don't use it. Even enduro riders wear very little. The benefits just don't outweigh the negatives...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    ManOfKent wrote:
    I don't see why the UCI wouldn't allow that kind of innovation, although there's a big difference between protection from abrasions and preventing the kind of injuries that did for Phinney, Froome, Frank and Contador.
    I doubt they'd ban it but the pro riders would not wear it because of the aero, heat and weight penalty - unless they were forced, as with helmets which have exactly the same problem.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Armour, probably not. But a few strategically placed panels of cordura in your shorts/jersey would have next to no weight, comfort, or aero penalty. I could see that catching on.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Solution is to crash less.