New Slicks

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
My Michelins are decidedly flat in the middle, so its time for a change.

What recommendations for a 700 x25c slick tyre please? Light, with low rolling resistance but I guess good enough for a couple of thousand miles. Don't want treaded tyres.

Happy to stay with the Dynamic Sports but interested to see what the commuting massive has to say.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    GP 4 Seasons....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Which Michelins are you currently running? I've put about 1800 miles on a pair of 25mm Pro 4 Endurance so far this year and there's barely a mark on them. Commuting, back lanes of Rutland in winter, the Fred; they've done it all very well. Smooth, roll well and seemingly quite rugged too - a poor man's Open Corsa IMHO...
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Vittoria Rubino Pro slicks
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    vredestein fortezza tricomp
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Michelin Pro4 Service Course...
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Its got tread Kieran

I's not really a tread though, more decoration.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    edited July 2014
    fat_tail wrote:

yep these things rock, once i wear through all my other brand stocks i'm only using Vredestein tyres

nice review here http://road.cc/content/review/38488-vre ... 0x23c-tyre pretty much how i'd describe them
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Rubino Pro 3.

Compared to conti offerings, like night and day.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I doubt any 25C road tyre is properly treaded. Most just have decoration that looks a little like tread. I'm a Rubino Pro fan though I've also been pretty happy with Michelin Pro4 for weekend duties.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    nice simple technical analysis of 23 vs 25 conti 4000s
    http://mccraw.co.uk/continental-gp4000s-review/
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:
    nice simple technical analysis

I can't even understand this paragraph
    For technical reasons, if all else is the equal a wider tyre will also roll faster. All else is very much not equal between a race and touring tyre, but it applies here: the wider casing bulges proportionally less, so the sidewall deflection is slightly closer to a perfect circle (ideal efficiency).

"the sidewall deflection is slightly closer to a perfect circle" ????
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    itboffin wrote:
    nice simple technical analysis of 23 vs 25 conti 4000s
    http://mccraw.co.uk/continental-gp4000s-review/

I like the line
    it’s a truly excellent tyre with very few (if any) weaknesses.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    itboffin wrote:

For technical reasons, if all else is the equal a wider tyre will also roll faster. All else is very much not equal between a race and touring tyre, but it applies here: the wider casing bulges proportionally less, so the sidewall deflection is slightly closer to a perfect circle (ideal efficiency).

there is a loss of energy due to the tyre deforming, less deformation means less energy loss. Think of it like a squeaky chain... the energy for that noise has to come from somewhere (you)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:

there is a loss of energy due to the tyre deforming, less deformation means less energy loss. Think of it like a squeaky chain... the energy for that noise has to come from somewhere (you)

Um - but it makes no sense. By that logic, just pump your tyre up to 300psi - that won't deform at all - you'll go like a greased weasel (by that logic)

25C tyres are actually meant to deflect more (more compliant ride and less energy absorbed in bumping you and the frame up and down)
  • itboffin
    none of you picked up on the as good as if not better than tubs?

the cat 5s will be spitting blood :lol:
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:
    none of you picked up on the as good as if not better than tubs?

the cat 5s will be spitting blood :lol:

I saw that too - but I stopped taking any notice of what he was writing after the bit I quoted above.

I already suspected he was a mentalist after he thought GP4000s had "few (if any) weaknesses" :wink:
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    itboffin wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

yep these things rock, once i wear through all my other brand stocks i'm only using Vredestein tyres

nice review here http://road.cc/content/review/38488-vre ... 0x23c-tyre pretty much how i'd describe them

Maybe I just put them on too early in the season, but these were a nightmare. Punctured on my first 3 rides and cut up terribly. Binned them after that. After reviews was expecting so much more.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Lefthook wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

Maybe I just put them on too early in the season, but these were a nightmare. Punctured on my first 3 rides and cut up terribly. Binned them after that. After reviews was expecting so much more.

put mine on in Feb this year. done about 4000 kms with about 3 punctures. One was due a massive hole in the road and the other was a 1/4" glass shard going through.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • itboffin
    i rode the rapha hell of the north on mine and apart from one or two slight cuts they performed perfectly even gripping across stones, mud & actual rocks real rocks the sort of stuff you'd be careful riding a mtb over.

the same cant be said for the fork and headset on my carbon ribble sportive :cry:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    itboffin wrote:
    i rode the rapha hell of the north on mine and apart from one or two slight cuts they performed perfectly even gripping across stones, mud & actual rocks real rocks the sort of stuff you'd be careful riding a mtb over.

the same cant be said for the fork and headset on my carbon ribble sportive :cry:

should have used a hybrid
  • itboffin
    it has crossed my mind more than once to use my old commuting hybrid