Buying parts from Taiwan on eBay

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited July 2014 in Road general
I'm looking to get some new handlebars and noticed these on eBay a good few pounds cheaper than anywhere else:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mr-ride-3T-Er ... 2a3e6639c0

I've read threads on here regarding counterfeit carbon bars from the far east (specifically 3T ones as well!) but how about lower end items like these alloy bars?

What are the chances that they are genuine 3T bars and secondly, what are the chances that I'll get stung for import taxes (and if so, how much is it likely to be)?

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I can see no reason to believe that they aren't fake.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Someone at work bought some 'carbon fibre' bottle cages from Taiwan. When they arrived they were plastic.
  • Indonesian scam?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    whoof wrote:
    Someone at work bought some 'carbon fibre' bottle cages from Taiwan. When they arrived they were plastic.

'Carbon fibre' is actually carbon fibre reinforcing a polymer or a plastic, usually an acrylonitrile based fibre that has been carbonised and then impregnated with a polymer that may be a thermoset or epoxy based for example. So 'carbon fibre' is actually plastic, albeit fibre reinforced.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    ChippyK wrote:
    whoof wrote:

'Carbon fibre' is actually carbon fibre reinforcing a polymer or a plastic, usually an acrylonitrile based fibre that has been carbonised and then impregnated with a polymer that may be a thermoset or epoxy based for example. So 'carbon fibre' is actually plastic, albeit fibre reinforced.

Thanks for the science lesson but I think we all know what he meant.

I've only just hauled myself out of the dark ages by buying myself a Garmin Edge 800 and I was a bit disappointed that the 'carbon fibre' casing of that was actually plastic (just plastic, not with carbon fibre reinforcement).

I don't think I could handle a second disappointment in as many months by buying counterfeit bars off eBay.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Yet no-one will worry about the made in Taiwan stickers all over their premium brand frames. Go figure.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    dilatory wrote:
    Yet no-one will worry about the made in Taiwan stickers all over their premium brand frames. Go figure.

There is a difference between "Made in Taiwan" and an obvious fake. There is nothing wrong with a lot of the stuff made in legitimate sources in Taiwan as shown by how many companies use them to make their product. I've had carbon tubs from Taiwan that performed as well as wheels bought here.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.