Rockrider 9.1 full suspension - views/opinions?

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Guys,
Have been offered one of these locally for less than the price of a new RR 8.1.

I've read THIS REVIEW and it seems like a cracking spec for the price.

I wasn't really considering a full susser as most of my riding will be single track /XC with a bit of the Trails thrown in for good measure - but keep thinking it'll stop me from 'upgrade-itis' too soon.

What are peoples thoughts on this bike?

What's it like without a lock-out on the rear shock?

Would I be daft to get it for the kind of riding I'm doing?

Thanks.

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    It's an XC full-suss so ideal for "single track /XC with a bit of the Trails thrown in".

The advantage of FS is that it's a bit more forgiving, and gives you a much better ride when the trails are hard and a bit rough... so for example on the South Downs Way in summer I find my FS much better than my HT as I can sit and pedal comfortably where my HT throws me about a bit more. The main downside is that they are heavier at the same price point, and more expensive to maintain, particularly if you ride in the wet and mud of winter.

I've not ridden a Rockrider, but most XC bikes are fine without a lock on the rear shock... I don't have one on mine, and I don't use the lockout on my forks. Any half decent XC suspension should be fine as-is.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • dirkpitt74
    Thanks for the reply.
    Weight isn't too bad on the 9.1 - apparently 13.5kg's according the Decathlon site.

That's the problem I find with my HT - being bounced around - but think that's probably due to the rubbish 75mm travel coil springs!
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    I have a Boardman Team FA and it's a similar style of bike. It's so much easier to ride hard than by old HT has.

A little heavier, but that's not a big issue. Also not having a lockout on the shock is no big deal. There's not really much 'pedal bob' unless you are really out of the seat powering hard.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I rode one of these for 3 years and loved it,Only changed it to go for longer travel forks,I took my RR 9.1 to Inners,Glentress and a few other trail centres and lots of XC in between,Bike was a joy to ride
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Friend at work has one, rides it pretty hard and is really happy with it. Does Cannock, FoD and BPW quite regularly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Festerfeet
    Festerfeet Posts: 90
    I have one that has been relegated to my 'spare' for friends as I tend to do more big mountain stuff nowadays. It has proved very well built, reliable and surprisingly capable. The lack of a rear lockout is not a big deal as long as the shock is set correctly and the suspension is pretty efficient both up and down.
    I found the bar a little narrow but it is cheap to upgrade and that is just personal taste.

Recently took it away for a weekend while my main bike was awaiting new wheels, we climbed over 6,000m and descended the same over the weekend (about the same as 5 times up and down Ben Nevis) on some of the roughest mountains China has got to offer and had a complete blast, no injuries, no serious mechanicals excepting punctures (but then I had the wrong tyres for the job).

The main considerations over buying a RR8.1 instead is that the hardtail is a bit lighter and it will be new. Assuming your mate has looked after the 9.1 reasonably well and that it fits you I would go for it.
  • dirkpitt74
    Thanks for the info.
    Missed out on the local 9.1.

Budget for a new bike has also been cut slightly so looking at a Carrera Fury.

When things have settled at work with moving back into the car scheme and know how much that's costing will look at something more expensive through the cycle scheme.