Cytech padding

mervzila
mervzila Posts: 28
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Ok so it's time to spend some descent money on a new bib, rapha, and assos are obvious contenders but can anyone offer any other suggestions to descent shorts (around the 150 mark) that use cytech padding.

The cafe du cycliste shorts look descent enough but only a couple of places in London stock...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Gore use Cytech. FYI, if you do find some bibs stating they use Cytech inserts then you can check the spec of that particular insert here:

http://www.elasticinterface.com

Click on the 'Products' tab. Most of the high end bib shorts will use the inserts listed under 'Long Distance'. You'll also notice that a few manufacturers claiming to use a 'high quality Cytech insert' will be using one that Cytech recommend for short durations of riding, e.g, they aren't that good!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    De Marchi use them and the more pricy ones use the premium inserts. The wiggle dhb shorts also use cytech but less expensive ones.
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    Gore use Cytech. FYI, if you do find some bibs stating they use Cytech inserts then you can check the spec of that particular insert here:

Click on the 'Products' tab. Most of the high end bib shorts will use the inserts listed under 'Long Distance'. You'll also notice that a few manufacturers claiming to use a 'high quality Cytech insert' will be using one that Cytech recommend for short durations of riding, e.g, they aren't that good!

Thank you very intersting link - I cand see the DHB Giro and Tour pads which interstingly are both listed as medium distance; do you know by any chance which one is the Assos S5? It looks like ENDURANCE 2 SUPER-AIR MEN to me but curious to know.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

Thank you very intersting link - I cand see the DHB Giro and Tour pads which interstingly are both listed as medium distance; do you know by any chance which one is the Assos S5? It looks like ENDURANCE 2 SUPER-AIR MEN to me but curious to know.

Yes, Wiggle are often guilty of saying 'high end' when describing DHB. They're good value but defo not high end.

I'm not sure with Assos TBH. They either use an exclusive insert or they purposefully disguise what insert they use from the existing range. IME the Assos insert material is softer than other ones I've tried from Cytech. Plus Assos use that dimpled, material. Does look like the Super Air though…..
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    How about the new DHB Goldline stuff? New pad or same old?
  • jordan_217

Looks like they are actually using a good one:

http://www.elasticinterface.com/cycling ... .php?id=48

I have the same pad in some club shorts. It's very good, though the material doesn't stay smooth after a few washes.
  • Camcycle1974
    jordan_217 wrote:

I have the same pad in some club shorts. It's very good, though the material doesn't stay smooth after a few washes.

Thanks Jordan. Was trying to match the pads up with the shorts. Easy if they actually list what pad they use. Need a long-distance pair. Was thinking Assos S2 or top end DHB maybe.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

Thanks Jordan. Was trying to match the pads up with the shorts. Easy if they actually list what pad they use. Need a long-distance pair. Was thinking Assos S2 or top end DHB maybe.

No worries. Wiggle do list the pad. Click on the 'Description' tab and it's the second bullet down in the 'Top Features of the dhb Goldline Bib Short' section.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I don't think the Assos pads are off the shelf pads, they are custom made to their specific requirements
  • Camcycle1974
    Great, thanks for the info. No wonder Assos want to keep things close to their chests. Don't want all and sundry copying them. They make the best without doubt but I think the top end DHB ones will deliver 90% of the performance for 50% of the cost.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Great, thanks for the info. No wonder Assos want to keep things close to their chests. Don't want all and sundry copying them. They make the best without doubt but I think the top end DHB ones will deliver 90% of the performance for 50% of the cost.

Wiggle call the pad in the DHB Aeron Pro 'tour air', but checking the cytech site it's the Tour HP Carbonium. I've done several 4-6hr rides in mine without issue.

I mentioned it in another thread the other day, but if you have platinum discount and use the current extra 15% off orders over £100 while the tour is on (TDF-1) you can get two pairs for under £100 delivered.
  • I know you wanted alternatives but for £110 with the current discount on Wiggle the Assos s7 T.Equipe really are superb.