Stefano Bernabino's Trousers

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,241
edited July 2015 in Pro race
I think the time has come for them to have their own thread. Let's recap on the story so far:

White for the team presentation
BrozXlLIMAA-tiQ.jpg

A sensible navy blue for stage 1. Anything bolder would have scared this Cardiff man
BrzUAizCUAAP02O.jpg

Stage 2 where he sported Army Green to meet a German
Br7KB1-CcAE2a1k.jpg

Stage 3 and he upstages all the red trousers wearing East Londoners by becoming the first non-Dutchman to ever don the orange. Even the advertising hoardings paid tribute
Br8xxB5IYAA5Wmq.jpg

Nothing from stage 4, but for the cobbles it was a suitable brown
BsGr2fsIAAAPh1t.jpg

Stage 7 saw some navy microphone holding slacks
BsRdbbuCEAEOtGG.jpg

More blue on stage 8 - a bit disappointing
BsXGjU3IIAAQU2S.jpg

Green again on stage 9. He needs some emergency supplies.

(All photos from his twitter feed - @stebernabino)
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Thanks for setting up the topic, Rich. I guess it's better than diverting the thread about the day's stage.

Relatively conservative choices for Stefano so far, I would say. I'm thinking the white pair were more formal for the presentation, and since then I've noticed he generally favours the brighter colours when the weather is better.
    Below is my post about trousers from today's stage thread. I will post all future trouser-related information and opinion here, for those interested in this aspect of the Tour:

Good call with the red/burgundy trouser option. I guess it all depends on the size of Stefano's baggage allowance. From the range on show so far it's reasonably large - he's not had too many repeats, IIRC. Standouts so far for me are the orange numbers. I'm assuming we will see them again at some point.

I became interested in European men's trousers when I moved to the Netherlands. As an Englishman I always believed I had the choice of blue, black, brown or khaki, and although I'd previously lived in Germany I was in the former East and the tones were similarly muted. However, the men of Maastricht are noted as peacocks of the fashion world - you should see the range of pointy shoes on sale there. Brightly-coloured dandies are often accompanied by relatively drab partners clad head to toe in Sarah Pacini or similar:
    sarah_pachini.jpg
    Only in the Netherlands was the true rainbow of potential of leg wear was revealed to me. I had a colleague at my previous place of work who sported the full range - red, light blue, green and, alarmingly, mustard. By contrast the Dutch ladies, when they want to be smart/casual in trousers favour the white jean, often with rhinestones. On an early summer's day the cobbles of Maastricht old town echo to the sound of brown, calf-length leather boots, into which will be tucked the tightest pair of white jeans possible.
    Although I would never dream of wearing such brightly coloured leg-tailoring myself, I salute the Dutch men for their ambition and lack of self-consciousness when it comes to the pant.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think the time has come for them to have their own thread. Let's recap on the story so far:

Stage 3 and he upstages all the red trousers wearing East Londoners by becoming the first non-Dutchman to ever don the orange. Even the advertising hoardings paid tribute
    Br8xxB5IYAA5Wmq.jpg

The orange are by far my favourite thus far. My husband, purveyor of colourful slacks extraordinaire, is quite jealous.

Excellent idea for a thread. I would like to see Stefano in the orange ones or possibly a nice bright blue pair.

p.s. I have not gone native enough to appreciate hagelslag or the white rhinestone jean. But I'm quite alarmed that Steve has been photographing my wardrobe.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    That is basically the same selection I have minus the black trou
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    pottssteve wrote:
    sarah_pachini.jpg
    I have not gone native enough to appreciate hagelslag or the white rhinestone jean. But I'm quite alarmed that Steve has been photographing my wardrobe.
    That is basically the same selection I have minus the black trou

:shock:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Maybe in the last week, we'll see him in these

king_of_diamonds_multi_diamonds.857x1000.jpg

Or maybe some of these

loudmouth-golf-pants.jpg
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    Those trousers are shocking.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Weren't the green ones back in evidence and Greg, Jeff and he trundled up the finishing straight in a rickshaw?

Brilliant stuff.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    If he is working on a weekly cycle we should be seeing the orange again today I think - let's see.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • jimmythecuckoo
    I cant imagine their being an abundance of trouser shops at the of a peak in the Vosges. I think what he has it what he keeps.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I cant imagine their being an abundance of trouser shops at the of a peak in the Vosges. I think what he has it what he keeps.

He may be holding something back for a special occasion though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pottssteve

The Vosges region is renowned for it's manufacture of tableware, towels etc, but not, as far as I am aware, horse-frighteningly coloured trousers. If you are ever in the region I can recommend a trip to the Linvosges factory shop in Gerardmer for household linens. It's place I can only imagine that would go bankrupt immediately should the female gender cease to exist (along with Lush soap shops)...

I agree that Stefano will most probably be travelling with a supply of pre-selected trousers, possibly transported around in a large portmanteau, carried from hotel to hotel by a couple of strong bearers. Alternatively he may have arranged for fresh supplies to have been delivered by Eurosport helicopter at pre-determined drop locations in order to stave off trouser ennui amongst his followers. It would be interesting to know his slacks strategy for the coming day's racing. Lord only knows what he will wear on the rest day - my guess is a pair of relaxed khaki shorts. Is there any way to contact him to find out?

I understand the whole stage is being broadcast live today so I cannot wait until his lower portions hove into view once again.....
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    For someone with a clear extravagance in trouser wearing his choice of footwear is somewhat disappointing. He's either wearing some green converse imitations or a battered pair of Adidas shoes made especially for Decathlon and sold for €25.

More effort please Stefano.
  • pottssteve
    dsoutar wrote:

Or maybe some of these

loudmouth-golf-pants.jpg

These are just a fucking abomination (and yes, the fifth word in this sentence starts with "f" and ends with "ing"....)
  • pottssteve
    hammerite wrote:
    For someone with a clear extravagance in trouser wearing his choice of footwear is somewhat disappointing. He's either wearing some green converse imitations or a battered pair of Adidas shoes made especially for Decathlon and sold for €25.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. As a 41 year old man who holds a position of significant responsibility within the Eurosport operation (check his LinkedIn profile), he should be sporting something much better than this relaxed footwear. THIS IS THE TOUR DE FRANCE! FOR GOD'S SAKES MAN, GET A GRIP!!!

I can certainly see him in a stylish pair of brogues or, if he prefers a more casual approach, a leather deck shoe in navy or traditional conker brown. I fear that he has fallen into the same trap as many men over the age of 35 of dressing in a manner too young for his age. When I lived in Brighton the place was crawling with fathers in their early 40's wearing T-shirts with slogans, ripped jeans with writing on them and Adidas Gazelle training shoes. It's a pathetic sight, I can tell you, as they desperately try to hold on to their youth as their hairlines recede.

Stefano, I beg you. Please invest in real shoes before the end of the Tour. You are a man, not a teenager!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    pottssteve wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. As a 41 year old man who holds a position of significant responsibility within the Eurosport operation (check his LinkedIn profile), he should be sporting something much better than this relaxed footwear. THIS IS THE TOUR DE FRANCE! FOR GOD'S SAKES MAN, GET A GRIP!!!

I can certainly see him in a stylish pair of brogues or, if he prefers a more casual approach, a leather deck shoe in navy or traditional conker brown. I fear that he has fallen into the same trap as many men over the age of 35 of dressing in a manner too young for his age. When I lived in Brighton the place was crawling with fathers in their early 40's wearing T-shirts with slogans, ripped jeans with writing on them and Adidas Gazelle training shoes. It's a pathetic sight, I can tell you, as they desperately try to hold on to their youth as their hairlines recede.

Stefano, I beg you. Please invest in real shoes before the end of the Tour. You are a man, not a teenager!

While packing he probably looked at his shoe rack and thought... "Those Adidas shoes are mighty comfortable when mowing the lawn. These will do the trick for long hard days covering the Tour." Wear them all day if you like Stefano, but put something else on for the 20 mins you are on TV for every day.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The coloured keks are highlighting his sublime skills as a body-linguist. Contrast the sympathetic leg action on J-Rod, Thomas and Degenkolb(?), with the striking disapproval signaled in the Lemond/Scarponi shot.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Saw a bloke wearing a pair of those at the test match on Saturday - What an absolute tool!
  • pottssteve
    RichN95 wrote:

Br8xxB5IYAA5Wmq.jpg

The orange are by far my favourite thus far. My husband, purveyor of colourful slacks extraordinaire, is quite jealous.

Excellent idea for a thread. I would like to see Stefano in the orange ones or possibly a nice bright blue pair.

p.s. I have not gone native enough to appreciate hagelslag or the white rhinestone jean. But I'm quite alarmed that Steve has been photographing my wardrobe.

Even the advertising hoardings are mocking him - "orange, orange, orange..."
  • jimmythecuckoo
    All we need now is Greg Lemond to rock up in some oatmeal hopsacks.
  • pottssteve
    All we need now is Greg Lemond to rock up in some oatmeal hopsacks.

Greg is the dowdy peahen to Stefano's cockstrutting...
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    pottssteve wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:

Or maybe some of these

loudmouth-golf-pants.jpg

These are just a ******* abomination (and yes, the fifth word in this sentence starts with "f" and ends with "ing"....)

All seems to be going a bit Gok Wan.
  • pottssteve
    White trousers to complete the French tricolour look for Stefano. :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Stefano opens up the show today by introducing his trousers. He's gone for white today - a brave choice as he's standing in a muddy field. Red, white and blue ensemble for Bastille Day.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pottssteve
    RichN95 wrote:
    Stefano opens up the show today by introducing his trousers. He's gone for white today - a brave choice as he's standing in a muddy field. Red, white and blue ensemble for Bastille Day.

Brave indeed. Cowsh!t is very difficult to get out of trousers.....
  • pottssteve
    Is he wearing walking boots?! :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You guys have no style.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    I am just happy he isn't Phil Liggett.

I can understand Stefano a bit more.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I'm disappointed Stefano didn't go for blue blazer, white shirt and RED trousers for his tricolore look. :(
    Correlation is not causation.
  • pottssteve
    I'm disappointed Stefano didn't go for blue blazer, white shirt and RED trousers for his tricolore look. :(

Agreed - a missed opportunity!
  • pottssteve
    Meanwhile, he's going to spend most of this stage scrubbing mousse de vache out of his turn-ups....