Can anyone lead my through the streets of London?

mitb
mitb Posts: 78
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
A few years back I decided against working in London, but now I find myself doing just that. One of the big plus points was that i could ride again, I used to go Reading to Marlow but now it would be Paddington to Fenchurch Street.

The thing is..I tried it last week and had the most apallingly crappy experience on a bike I can remember! The problem wasn't the traffic or the distance or even being out of condition (three years of driving to work take their toll!), it was navigating. I had to keep stopping to check the map (god awful CycleStreets app, won't be using that again, and printed google directions) and even then I managed to get spectacularly lost, knackered and frustrated. The worst thing is you know you're not far from where you need to be, London really isn't that big, but there're always twelve roads you can take and I couldn't always fix my current location and it just took FOREVER, particularly on the way back where every road I went up seemed to be going the wrong way and I ended up walking most of it!

This might be a longshot but I wondered if anyone did that journey (or similar) and wouldn't mind of I tagged along and took advantage of their experience? I would get there in the end on my own but it was exhausting with dreadful FGW train journeys at each end too and I'd love to flatten the learning curve a bit. I'm not desperately slow or intimidated by traffic but i will be on a borrowed Tern folder and not breaking any records, so it probably be much fun for anyone that normally races the route! I'll do everything I can to make sure to make sure you don't wait for me and you'll earn my eternal gratitude and a large drink (you might need it)!

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Paddington, Sussex Place onto Marylebone Road, Euston Road, Pentonville Road, City Road & either Old Street roundabout down Moorgate and past Bank to Fenchurch that way or left to Aldgate and right into Fencurch that end. Its trafficky but flows ok for a cyclist & better than the wiggly route through the centre.

If I was a courier with an urgent job, that's what I'd take.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was gonna say hyde park, constitution hill, the mall, embankment, up over Blackfriars bridge. Probably the easiest (route wise)
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    ^^^^^^ Coriordan's route is the one (or very similar) I'd take when taking the bike from work (leadenhall mkt) to Paddington. In fact, I may have a gpx file somewhere - I'll try and dig it out.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    As a general rule, stick to the main roads. There's a reason why they are the main roads: they go directly from one significant place to another. I find that once you know one or two main routes, you can use that as a framework for all sorts of other variations if you need to avoid roadworks, nasty junctions, etc. In contrast the diseased minds that plan cycle "infrastructure" seem to think that we are never happier than when taking the most serpentine and circuitous routes that link nowhere with nowhere.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    coriordan wrote:
    I was gonna say hyde park, constitution hill, the mall, embankment, up over Blackfriars bridge. Probably the easiest (route wise)

would agree with this but consider staying on Embankment to Tower Hill as is a short hop to Fenchurch St from there
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Mornington Crescent.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    CiB wrote:
    Mornington Crescent.
    Played that card surprisingly early and secures a shock win.

Well played, sir.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    :-)