Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Roof mounted bike carrier

Andytommo317Andytommo317 Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi I have been looking to buy 2 bike carriers and I wondered has anyone any advise I have been looking at the thule range 591/532 but I'm a bit concerned at the way they clamp my expensive frame and also clamps the cables to the frame ,in my opinion this must cause some kind of damage to the frame and paintwork,a lot of people are telling me to buy the yakima front loader as it dosent come into contact with the frame I don't want to waste my hard earned money on something that damages your bike so please anyone any thoughts thanks :(

Posts

  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    Thule. Everytime.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • passoutpassout Posts: 4,425
    Just don't overtighten - I've never had issues. That said for my crabon road bike I put bubble wrap around the clamped area too just to be sure. Probably not necessary really. I like the Thule system & can recommend.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • chrisw333chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I've just bought the Thule 532 carriers.

    They seem to be well made and fairly easy to use. I would prefer the clamps to be a bit 'squashier' like my old ones, but overall they seem very good and easy to use.

    They can be had for about £43 each with free key matching, which is well worthwhile, from here: (mine came the next day)

    http://www.roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Produc ... tAodRSQAhg
  • benpinnickbenpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yakima front loaders are the business. Heavy as but totally rock solid. Wont touch the frame, easy to use and fits pretty much everything going. Highly recommended (and yes I have had Thules etc.). They do all wheelsizes including 650b by the way as I couldn't figure that out from their site, but in 700c position 650 works fine.

    If you buy 2, just use the locks from one on the rack, and the locks from the 2nd on the bike lock, and that way you dont need more keys.

    I should just point out to be clear I would recommend the Yakima over Thule even if I were not concerned about paint damage. They are just a better design.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • chrisw333chrisw333 Posts: 695
    benpinnick wrote:
    Yakima front loaders are the business. Heavy as but totally rock solid. Wont touch the frame, easy to use and fits pretty much everything going. Highly recommended (and yes I have had Thules etc.). They do all wheelsizes including 650b by the way as I couldn't figure that out from their site, but in 700c position 650 works fine.

    If you buy 2, just use the locks from one on the rack, and the locks from the 2nd on the bike lock, and that way you dont need more keys.

    I should just point out to be clear I would recommend the Yakima over Thule even if I were not concerned about paint damage. They are just a better design.

    They look pretty good. Is stealing a bike as simple as removing the qr axle from the front wheel though?
  • benpinnickbenpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The lock goes through the frame - I guess they thought about that one :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • dirkpitt74dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    I have the 591.
    Never really thought about the cable squish problem.
    Suppose you could put some foam (old camping mat type stuff) between the cables anf frame?

    Not noticed any issues with the paint work either.
  • felix.londonfelix.london Posts: 4,067
    Bit of a post-highjack, sorry...but does anyone know if the Thule Rideon (2 or 3 Bike) carriers take DH frames and tyres?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

    Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

    Trek Session 8
  • benpinnickbenpinnick Posts: 4,148
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    I have the 591.
    Never really thought about the cable squish problem.
    Suppose you could put some foam (old camping mat type stuff) between the cables anf frame?

    Not noticed any issues with the paint work either.

    On my thules I didn't find it was an issue when clean - but if I'd been somewhere muddy or gritty, the residual dirt would grind away in the clamp. Because I am often transporting shiny demo/display bikes now I quickly had to ditch the Thules for something that wouldn't do that (a lesson quickly learnt).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • BriggoBriggo Posts: 3,537
    benpinnick wrote:
    On my thules I didn't find it was an issue when clean - but if I'd been somewhere muddy or gritty, the residual dirt would grind away in the clamp. Because I am often transporting shiny demo/display bikes now I quickly had to ditch the Thules for something that wouldn't do that (a lesson quickly learnt).

    Yeah I get that, easily sorted if you want though with some rubber/cloth or something around the frame.

    I've gone past caring, it's a mountain bike and is ment to get scratched so it just blends in with the others.
  • Thanks for the replies I'm swaying towards the yakima as I have heard a lot of hard luck stories about crushed carbon frames and people putting cloths etc between clamps and frames causing clamp to come loose as it looses it's grip ,I'm still not 100% on either products though , the thule systems look the part I must admit
  • chrisw333chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Bear in mind thousands of people use Thule happily ever day. You set the width of the clamp the first time you use it, so it's not as if it's a lottery every time you fix your bike on the car. If you're paranoid re scratches a strip of old innertube would do the trick. The product works, if you want that type of carrier, buy it.
  • BriggoBriggo Posts: 3,537
    chrisw333 wrote:
    Bear in mind thousands of people use Thule happily ever day. You set the width of the clamp the first time you use it, so it's not as if it's a lottery every time you fix your bike on the car. If you're paranoid re scratches a strip of old innertube would do the trick. The product works, if you want that type of carrier, buy it.

    Aye, couldn't agree more.

    Alternatively just clean the area the clamp will latch onto (it's like a 10 second job), it's only when its dirty and gritty does the clamp then start to scratch the frame.

    I'd also love to know how the clamp crushes the frames, I can get it tight and it certainly won't move (thoroughly tested several times during transit that it won't move...) but it's not so tight as to physically crush a frame as it still jiggles ever so slightly in the clamp
  • Just resurrecting this thread. I am at the same point here and am going to go for the Yakima Front Loaders x 3. Can any of the guys above that have them give me an up to date recommendation please?
  • RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 14,770
    I've been using a pair of Thule 591 roof carriers for four years now.
    They have rubber coated clamps so don't damage paint or frames. Cables usually run in the bottom of the v shaped clamp so don't get crushed. I've had all sorts of bikes on mine with no problems.
    It's really solid as well. Eight hours cruising at 100mph+ on the continent, I checked clamps several times and nothing needed tightening at any point.
Sign In or Register to comment.