South downs way 100 - next week?

diy
diy Posts: 6,473
edited July 2014 in MTB general
Anyone doing the 100? I think this will be my last one - done it 5 times before now. I have slackened off the training the last few weeks. In fact I can count the number of MTB rides this year on 1 hand. Been doing loads of road and spin though.

For those who don't know what it is its Winchester to Eastbourne on the south downs way. 100 miles and 12000 ft climb.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rode it as an overnighter a few weeks ago - riding for that amount of time in the dark really messes with your head. Give me a sub 9hr blast on the CX anyday.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • diy
    The whole lot? That sounds interesting - was it part of an organised ride?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Just with mates - it's a bit of a summer ritual for the last 5 years. Winchester to Eastbourne in a day. Next challenge is the double - maybe over 2 days next summer, to celebrate my half-century and to show there's still life in the old dog!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I like the sound of doing this. What's the route like?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Virtually all open doubletrack, some very fast descents, some bastard climbs.
  • balmybaldwin
    balmybaldwin Posts: 127
    And slippery as ice in the wet (in places)
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • diy
    yep saturday's weather looks interesting ;) there goes any chance of a personal best. Did it in 10:49 moving last year, but want to get well under 12hrs total time. You always lose an hour with a puncture here or there plus opening gates, refueling and check points etc.