Iodine doesn't like 10 Speed!

brady10
brady10 Posts: 195
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
So my Iodine 26" wheel set isn't taking well to a new Shimano SLX 10spd cassette. I have a 1mm spacer behind the cassette and have filed the hub spawls down; the lockring will bite but keeps coming loose during the ride...no good!!

Any ideas?
WOW really? Carbon Fibre Hubs?? Well how about chucking that kebab in the bin?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You've filed the pawls down?! WTF? Do you mean the splines? Why have you even done that?
  • brady10
    So that the rivets on the cassette don't catch the pawls! I would have thought that was obvious....hence the need for the spacer!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get proper wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    brady10 wrote:
    So that the rivets on the cassette don't catch the pawls! I would have thought that was obvious....hence the need for the spacer!

No idea what you have done but a 10 speed cassette is the same width as a 9 speed cassette you shouldnt need a spacer or a file. Sounds like you have funked up a perfectly good hub if you have been filing things. A good quality photo might help people understand whats wrong.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    brady10 wrote:

You don't mean pawls. The pawls are inside the free hub body.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The pawls are inside the freehub, they cannot catch on the cassette rivets, even on a stupid Crank Bros wheel.
  • brady10
    The filing has helped; Before the filing began and the spacers were installed, the rivets on the bottom of the cassette would rub against the section of the hub where the spokes are laced in. A 1mm spacer would give me just enough clearance combined with the rivets being filed down but I just can't get the lockring to engage with enough thread to stay tight!
  • njee20
    You mean the flange, not the pawls.

How tight are you doing it up? If you can get some engagement then it should be fine once tight. Best bit is to buy less shit wheels.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So you bought some wheels that aren't capable of taking one of the most popular cassettes fitted to decent MTB''s today, and then rather than send them back as clearly not being fit for purpose you have damaged them so you can't and the cassette still doesn't fit - the cassette you also can't send back as you've damaged that?

WOW!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:
    So you bought some wheels that aren't capable of taking one of the most popular cassettes fitted to decent MTB''s today, and then rather than send them back as clearly not being fit for purpose you have damaged them so you can't and the cassette still doesn't fit - the cassette you also can't send back as you've damaged that?

WOW!

But they look pretty.