Decent looking ant+ speed/cadence sensors

cattytown
cattytown Posts: 647
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Does anyone know of decent looking speed/cadence sensors that are actually available? Most are a boring oblong block. I know decent looking can be subjective, but I quite like the Cardiosport:

http://www.bhipltd.co.uk/media/catalog/ ... sensor.jpg or

The Bryton one is similar:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bryton-ant-spee ... al-sensor/

But neither seem available. There looks to be one branded as Bryton that looks like the cardiosport one available from http://www.mitaso-bike.de but with shipping it is nearly €80

I am interested in other that look better than the boring ones too!

Thanks,
Paul.
Giant Defy 2
Large bloke getting smaller :-)

Comments

• Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    I have the new Garmin ones that do not have magnets or separate arms. Very neat.
  • cattytown
    Are those the ones you put on the hub and crank arm?
    Giant Defy 2
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I use these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... r-ec036094

The cadence sensor is sleek a rubber band with a magnet inside that you slide over the crank arm.

All parts are zip tie free.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    cattytown wrote:

Yep, they are very cool. Simple, but cool.
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    I just use the Garmin, you can point the arm downwards to reduce risk of breaking.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Cadence- ... rmin+speed

Currently around the £26 delivered mark.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    cattytown wrote:

Sorry for jumping the thread, but do you know if they work well with the 800/ 810 models? I had problems with the original Garmin sensor but I want to stick with my 800, assuming that Garmin will take a while to sort out the new 1000 model!

Peter
  • cattytown
    The bontrager look OK, I think the old Garmin GSC10 looks a little better, but there's little available that I think looks good.

I think the new garmin looks a little awkward to fit to the hub. If they could have had it self charging from the rotation it would have been cool.

DC rainmaker claims the new one is compatible with 800s - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garm ... nsors.html

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    northpole wrote:
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    cattytown wrote:

Sorry for jumping the thread, but do you know if they work well with the 800/ 810 models? I had problems with the original Garmin sensor but I want to stick with my 800, assuming that Garmin will take a while to sort out the new 1000 model!

Peter

+1 for the new Garmin sensors, works flawlessly and look so much neater, and yes works fine with my new Edge 810.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • jezzpalmer
    KonkyWonky wrote:
    I just use the Garmin, you can point the arm downwards to reduce risk of breaking.

You can't always point it down, it has to go up on one of my bikes. It depends on the chainstay/spoke clearance.
    Granted it's much less vulnerable pointing down, and less odd looking.

I haven't tried them with my 800, but this claims they work...
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-bike-sp ... 04-00.html
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Yes, the new Garmin ones go on the hub and the crank arm.

They work fine with my Edge 800.
  • thegreatdivide
    That new Garmin cadence sensor looks too bulky and could be easily kicked off by a shoe. Compare it to the Bontrager which is just a secure rubber band:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/02/bont ... ensor.html
  • jezzpalmer
    That new Garmin cadence sensor looks too bulky and could be easily kicked off by a shoe.

It mounts to the back/inner of the crank arm, so shouldn't be anywhere near a shoe.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The cadence sensor is sleek a rubber band with a magnet inside that you slide over the crank arm.

Doesn't sound at all sleek compared to a rare earth magnet on the end of the pedal spindle!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Buy a Decathlon one and use the £10+ you save, to bling it up.
  • thegreatdivide
    Rolf F wrote:

Doesn't sound at all sleek compared to a rare earth magnet on the end of the pedal spindle!

Useless if you run Ti in your pedals.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Rolf F wrote:

Also useless if you have a steel frame and small clearance with the crank arm.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

But what crazy fool would do that!? :lol:

drlodge wrote:
    Also useless if you have a steel frame and small clearance with the crank arm.

Now you're just being awkward! I guess you probably can still make it work - the closer the crank arm to the frame the less power you need from the magnet - probably you could use a very thin one but you might have to experiment with a bit.

I tend to think that my steel frames deserve better than having bits of plastic stuck on the chainstays so this problem never occurred to me!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I did consider sticking the magnet to the pedal spindle with some Sugru, but feared it would be difficult to get off cleanly if I should ever need to remove the pedal. I've now removed the GSC10s from all 3 bikes, never really looked at cadence and speed comes via GPS. Makes cleaning the bikes easier too!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cattytown
    What's the issue with Ti pedals and magnets?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • jezzpalmer
    Magnets don't stick to ti.
  • cattytown
    Ta - the way useless was mentioned made me wonder if there was some property of Ti I was unaware of that had some effect on the magnetic field.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • thegreatdivide
    cattytown wrote:
    Ta - the way useless was mentioned made me wonder if there was some property of Ti I was unaware of that had some effect on the magnetic field.

Paul.

Pedal cadence magnets are put into the small hole left for the pedal axle. If you have a pedal with a Ti axle it won't stay in place - Ti is not magentic. You would have to glue it in then force it out if you wanted to remove the pedal.
  • rolf_f
    cattytown wrote:

Paul.

Pedal cadence magnets are put into the small hole left for the pedal axle. If you have a pedal with a Ti axle it won't stay in place - Ti is not magentic. You would have to glue it in then force it out if you wanted to remove the pedal.

Of course, given how firmly the rare earth magnets stick to steel pedal axles, I suspect it wouldn't be much harder to extract a magnet araldited to a Ti spindle!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    ManOfKent wrote:

That's what I did but it is a really ugly unit.

zoom_4557092d3f234f6b8241a834774d8356.jpg
  • cattytown
    TBH I thought they were normally araldited in...
    Giant Defy 2
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    Navrig2 wrote:
    ManOfKent wrote:

That's what I did but it is a really ugly unit.

zoom_4557092d3f234f6b8241a834774d8356.jpg
    t of

Works very well for me, and as I have multiple bikes, it saves me a decent chunk of cash :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    Surely the only genuinely 'decent looking' sensors are the trek/Bontragger Duotap frame/sensor combos... Giant do a version now too, but it's not quite as neat...

But Not sure its available for anything but Trek in a frame specific mode is it?? so not much use, but its the only thing I would consider 'worth ' changing to... the new garmins are quite neat but changing from a rare earth magnet on my pedal spindle that's virtually invisible, to the rubber ban mount isn't a step forward and araldite would sort out the Ti pedals with ease, ...fill any allen key recess with plasticine, or better still silicone sealant, then araldite the rear earth magnet to the spindle, (they are small enough to go through the pedal thread, no need to remove first if you have a spanner flat on the other side of the spindle, or if you don't a swift tap with a hammer and screwdriver, will shake the araldite free from the spindle, clear out the plasticine/silicone and use allen key on inside....

all easy and the neatest possible mount...
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Wahoo are releasing a new cadence sensor in Oct, very sleek and sticks onto the crank with no need for anything on the frame. This new model is cadence-only though so not speed, but I use GPS for that anyway.

They do have a speed + cadence gadget too, but think that does need magnets etc.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    IWANTBLUE wrote:
    the new garmins are quite neat but changing from a rare earth magnet on my pedal spindle that's virtually invisible, to the rubber ban mount isn't a step forward and araldite would sort out the Ti pedals with ease, ..

I suppose you could forgo the rubber band on the new Garmin cadence mount and use some sort of adhesive instead [it's on the inside of the crank arm so not visible]. How does the Stages power meter attach - might be able to copy?
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9