Buying Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sora Groupset

Jahmoo
Jahmoo Posts: 168
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Some advise needed please...

I have a LBS Demo Roubaix for the weekend to try out. Find it really comfy to ride, did 20mls on it this morning, 13 on Friday. This mornings ride was tiring as not done 20mls for a while, so a few aches and pains in the latter part of the ride, but overall no issues with my back, so all good.

One issue with the bike is the Sora groupset, do not find it as smooth as I was advised, I was told this groupset was the 105 a few years back and should run nicely.

Upgrade to next Roubaix is £1600 which is a lot more than the deal of £1150 for entry Roubaix.

I need the comfy ride as of my lower back, shall I put up with this and upgrade in 6 months, I already know I will need to upgrade the wheels in the same time.

What would you guys suggest?

Comments

  • I'd question why you would need to upgrade?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Jahmoo wrote:
    One issue with the bike is the Sora groupset, do not find it as smooth as I was advised, I was told this groupset was the 105 a few years back and should run nicely.

    Whoever told you that has told you complete bollocks. It will work well enough though.
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    I'd question why you would need to upgrade?


    Reason is the Sora groupset seems to be a bit slippery in places, as I said in my main post :)
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    DKay wrote:
    Jahmoo wrote:
    One issue with the bike is the Sora groupset, do not find it as smooth as I was advised, I was told this groupset was the 105 a few years back and should run nicely.

    Whoever told you that has told you complete ****. It will work well enough though.

    This was the sale guy at the LBS, I know the Frames used to be the S Works Frames of old as well.
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    From your comments, seems it is a good bike for the price?

    I am happy with the performance, just hoping the Sora will be better on the one I purchase.

    Appreciate the feedback thank you :)
  • Jahmoo wrote:
    I'd question why you would need to upgrade?


    Reason is the Sora groupset seems to be a bit slippery in places, as I said in my main post :)

    Maybe its not indexed correctly, 2013 Sora is very good.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    You have a good plan. The Roubaix is a great frame. I love mine.however, I would change the wheels before the groupset. Just get the Sora properly set up and lubricated. Out of the box they are not as smooth as you can make them.
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    Thanks again guys :)

    Will let you all know how I get on with it, not purchased yet, but seems when I take the Demo Bike back I will be making sure I have the funds to make the purchase :)
  • I had a Roubaix Sora Disc for a week earlier this year (while my Secteur was replaced under warrenty). I loved everything about it but hated Sora, if I could afford one I'd buy the frame only or sell the Sora as soon as I got home and replace. It works but crudely to say the least not to my taste at all.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    I ride a Giant Defy with Sora and know exactly what you mean but after having it serviced (no, I didn't do it myself!) it feels like a brand new bike. Now it's been properly indexed and set up, it's shifts faultlessly and is better than at any time since I got the bike.

    I went for a few test rides on new bikes last week and rode a De Rosa with Athena and a Look with Ultegra and while both were obviously a serious step up in terms of smoothness and feel, the gap wasn't as wide as I thought it would be.

    I've read loads of comments on here that a properly set up cheaper group set will be smoother than a badly adjusted top end one, so maybe it's worth getting the shop to check the bike before forking out significantly more cash?
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    I have Sora on one of my bikes, found that putting 105 mechs on made all the difference. I left the Sora shifters, cassette etc - £40 on mechs and it really did feel completely different.
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    Well I feel better it's not me, but I did return the bike for a look as the front Disc was stuck.... I got them to sort the gears out again, better but still clunky... I love the bike, real comfy and after 3 rides my average speed is up by 2mph and I'm not been riding much this year.

    I am returning the demo bike tomorrow so will have a chat with the guys before paying any money ;)
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    OK...

    Looks like I have purchased the Roubaix Disc with Sora Groupset. I have been assured this will work like a dream when set up properly, not sure why this was not done right in the first place.

    Why the disc you say, well because I is a big lad and stopping power was very good, I am 17.5st, so feel for the axis brakes that come on the Roubaix SL4 entry level.

    I will probably get some tongue lashing from some for the Disc, but the Roubaix is just a dream bike, I like it :)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,117
    Jahmoo wrote:
    OK...

    Looks like I have purchased the Roubaix Disc with Sora Groupset. I have been assured this will work like a dream when set up properly, not sure why this was not done right in the first place.

    Why the disc you say, well because I is a big lad and stopping power was very good, I am 17.5st, so feel for the axis brakes that come on the Roubaix SL4 entry level.

    I will probably get some tongue lashing from some for the Disc, but the Roubaix is just a dream bike, I like it :)

    A disc-equipped Roubaix is like double jeopardy to some people, super-Kryptonite, etc :D:lol:

    It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Nothing wrong with Disc brakes as far as i'm concerned. in a few years i'm sure most rim brakes will be no more so we will all be stuck with them.

    but as with all purchases, buy what you want not what the masses are saying. you have to ride it no-one else.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014