Steel frame scratching & Nail varnish & Drink

sumo55
sumo55 Posts: 7
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi
I've got a problem with scratching my frame which is something I can not avoid having a small frame and fitting accessories. The bracket for my lock is on the top tube and has to pivot so I can get my keys in the lock to remove it. With this pivoting action the bracket scratches the paintwork. I'm not bothered about its looks but it it has to be practical and long lasting and it looks good anyway! :)

I tried using foam but it wriggles its way out, I've used electrical tape but it chews it off. I could use both but both I have to keep and eye on and straighten it out and replace the tape now and then! Its a lovely mess!

Out of the blue I had a thought.. I play a musical instrument that involves using one fingernail I have to protect with this stuff: http://uk.sallyhansen.com/nails/nail-ca ... hard-wraps
This nail wrap is a very thick strong layer of some acrylic and other stuff.. Its excellent at preventing my nail being worn away as I perform and the string never reaches my nail, but the wrap.
Can I paint this on my frame in the area that I need protecting?
Click the little 'i' for ingredients.

Lastly because the lock takes up all the room, what other ways can I fit a drinks holder? I have no space on my handlebars. :(
Hope you can help.

Su

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    you can get bottle holders that mount behind the saddle

to avoid frame wear, how about a piece of thick but flexible plastic - cut from a food container for instance - wrap it around the frame at the place you'll fit the lock holder, you can use neutral cure silicone rubber to fix it in place, it won't hurt the paint and it can be removed in future without causing damage
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • trieste
    trieste Posts: 10
    Keep the lock in the pannier or bungee it onto the rack.
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    You can protect the frame with helicopter tape here.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    trieste wrote:
    Keep the lock in the pannier or bungee it onto the rack.

^^This

When I used to commute with a rack and pannier, I strapped my lock securely to the top plate of the rack.
    That will enable to use the bottle cage mounts on your frame and you can remove the lock bracket from the frame altogether.