Pulling my hair out!

ianlawton
ianlawton Posts: 14
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

New to road cycling after years of mountain biking but looking to spend the next 8 months training for TT racing next spring. So many bikes to choose from and impossible to choose!

I am willing to spend up to 3k, however I wouldn't know if a 1k bike would be as fast as a 3k bike. eg.
Specialized Venge Expert 2014 (3k) vs Specialized Tarmac SL4 (1.1k)

If so is it worth the extra? any help appreciated!

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    It's unlikely a 3k bike will make you significantly faster than a 1k bike, your talking the odd second here or there. The more expensive bike will probably be a nicer ride though.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • ianlawton wrote:
    Hi All,

New to road cycling after years of mountain biking but looking to spend the next 8 months training for TT racing next spring. So many bikes to choose from and impossible to choose!

I'd buy a TT bike
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ianlawton
    ianlawton Posts: 14
    This bike would be used for training on, is a TT bike ok for daily use?
  • ianlawton wrote:
    This bike would be used for training on, is a TT bike ok for daily use?

Depends what your training consists of
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Sounds like a case of two bikes needed.

To be competitive in a TT you need to be on a TT bike (or at least a bike with TT bars, but that. To be competitive on a TT bike you need to train on a TT bike. A TT bike has a bit of an extreme position that you need time to adapt to.

A TT bike isn't the most appropriate bike for general riding though, so you'll wan a road bike as well.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Should also add, if time is an issue. You will be faster on a 1k TT bike than on a 3k road bike over a measured TT course.

If you are after a budget TT bike then look no further than this:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/triathlonbike ... tml?b=3304

With your budget also leaves decent cash for a road bike.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    i agree with most buy a tt bike to be competitive in tts and then buy a road bike alongside for general riding/longer rides
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you are after a bike for TTing but not after a dedicated TT bike the Venge would make more sense as it has a more aero frame. It would also mean you can use it day to day as a TT bike if pretty much a one trick pony for general use.

The alternative view could be buy the cheaper Tarmac and spend use some of the cash saved on a proper bike fit. A better ride position would make you faster than spending 2k extra.