Fox 32 Float Evolution CTD Air Lockout issue.

towlawrian
towlawrian Posts: 67
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Scott Spark 930 (2014) 29er with 100mm Fox 32 Float Evolution CTD Air.

I am a little confused with the lockout/climb mode and I have a few issue's and I dont think its working.

I know the three modes mean CLIMB, TRAIL and DESCEND.

But when in climb mode and I stand up out of the saddle to climb the fork bobs up and down about an inch or so. It also does this when stationary when I push down on the fork.

I ve read on a few forums that this is normal as its not supposed to fully lockout but I think it there could be a problem with mine as they bob that much.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    First off check the air pressure is set up correctly and that you have the desired amount of sag - too soft and you will get excess movement in Climb Mode.

You will get movement in Climb Mode if you try push or bob the fork. If you switch to Descend and push them it should be easy and then do through Trail and finally Climb and they should feel progressively harder with more initial resistance. If they all feel the same then you have an issue.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • towlawrian
    Thanks,

I can feel the difference and they do get progressively harder, Ive set the sag in accordance with my weight.

Could it be an issue with the rebound been too soft?
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Too soft would make it feel baggy and slower or less positive to return.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    We had exactly this on same model. Do check first remote cable is tight if you are using that and on the Scott remotes there is a special insert depending on what fork make you are using - check it is the Fox one. It was sent to Mojo under warranty and they replaced a small part and it now works fine. It was only away a few days too which was good.
  • 19dm82
    19dm82 Posts: 70
    Had the same fork on my 2013 Scott scale 620 and the climb mode was useless. Now have them on my cube ltd sl 29er and climb mode is perfect. Total lock out.
  • towlawrian
    On the fox website it says it dosnt have total lockout?

I think works well when I am sat down but when I stand up it will compress by an inch I think this could be the blow out valve working?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing has 'total' lockout. Except rigid forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi.

I've had similar issues in the past (viewtopic.php?t=12962473) with exactly the same fork and it just so happens that I was on the phone to Mojo this morning as I my forks are going the same way for the third time now.

The guy on the phone asked me to go through the modes and put only a couple of kg pressure on the forks (while standing beside the bike). He said that if when doing this the descend mode moved and the climb mode didn't, then the forks were working as they should and that I should stop obsessing over it and enjoy my riding (which I would if my forks weren't giving out 5cms+ of travel and bouncing all over the place as soon as I get out of the saddle).

TBH, I couldn't really tell the difference with such a light compression, but it seems that their interpretation of a working fork is one whose stiffness changes in line with the settings and has nothing to do with the amount of damping each provides.

Anyway as an indication, when my forks came back from Mojo in April this year, the climb mode worked as I would have expected and gave around 2cms travel if you gave it a good push - over the course of a ride, it didn't ever really go any further than that. When you click down to trail and then descend, the fork should obviously become progressively less stiff. So if you are getting an inch of travel, it sounds reasonable depending how much pressure you are putting on it.

Unfortunately, my forks are a week away from running out of warranty and Mojo don't seem to want to know any more (even though within that year, the forks have already been back and warranty repaired twice). Considering they are only weeks away from coming back from their last warranty repair he said that they should really come back for a service by now (at £108 excluding postage and insurance).

Good luck with the forks though and I hope you end up with something better than I have. Unfortunately, the way I see it is that for the cost of 2 services, I can get my hands on a decent set of RockShox that I've never had any trouble with (for both quality and servicing) and I'll be avoiding FOX like the plague from now on.
  • towlawrian
    All sorted guys,

All it need was a few turns on the barrell adjuster on the twinloc