Carbon Riser Bars - Spoiled For Choice!

CitizenLee
CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Trying to decide on some carbon bars for the Mega but there's too many to choose from! I normally use RF Atlas cut to 760mm but they're still too wide, so currently using some 711mm Easton Havens, but they're a touch too narrow... so rather than cut down the RFs any more, I thought I'd treat myself to some carbon :)

I'm after something for AM sorta stuff, and around 720-750mm, 20mm rise. Happy to cut down longer bars though, assuming a Dremel is fine to use?

I think I've managed to narrow it down to this lot...

Truvativ BlackBox Jerome Clementz Riser Bar
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/truv ... prod108857

Thomson All Mountain Carbon Riser Bar
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/thom ... -prod91741

Easton Haven Carbon Riser Bar
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/east ... prod119916

Race Face SIXC Carbon Riser Bar
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race ... prod106584

Deity Components T-Mo Enduro Riser Bar 2014
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/deit ... prod111678

Any others to look at, or horror stories about any of the above?
Current:
NukeProof Mega FR 2012
Cube NuRoad 2018
Previous:
2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOKNUCK/o ... -handlebar

I just ordered some of these, they sent the 747mm instead of the 777mm I ordered, so they've gone back but they seemed spot on.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    mcnultycop wrote:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOKNUCK/on-one-knuckleball-handlebar

I just ordered some of these, they sent the 747mm instead of the 777mm I ordered, so they've gone back but they seemed spot on.

Look good, especially the flex options.
  • gt5xcr
    gt5xcr Posts: 77
    Thanks for the on one link , been looking at new bars myself and these seem just the ticket.
    GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    supersonic wrote:
    Also this, but maybe on the more XC side:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=94&p=1269

+ 1 for the CC ones - I'm using them for fairly tough alpine rinding and they feel great. Came from a set of (alu) Havens too
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • CitizenLee
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, will take a look at them when back on the PC.

For my other question, is it ok to cut carbon bars with a Dremel? I do have carbon cutting disks. I used a hacksaw on a set of carbon Monkey Lite bars years ago but was never happy with the cut.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Sixc's are my favourite bars so they get my vote. I'd stay away from the Truvativ's because they're a little heavy and not recommended for DH so they're in theory weaker, heavier and narrower than the Sixc's. Pretty sure the new Haven's are 740mm so they could be a good option as well. The Kinesis Strut R750's might be an option as well if you aren't too heavy, I wouldn't run them on an AM bike but I know other lighter riders that do with no issues.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    fatbar lite carbon or the new wider haven's
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Cutting - get a hacksaw (but a big one not a junior hacksaw) and a fine 32TPI blade. You only cut in one direction, take it slow and steady, dont apply force or go too fast or you wont get good results. So true in many aspects of life.....

I wouldnt rush to cut down wider than your desired size bars - give them a try at full width - you might like them.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Did this spawn from my mention of Carbon bars by any chance Lee? :)

Also, another potential choice:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race ... prod106590

Very light and in your size range.
  • felix.london
    Seeing as your looking at all the big brands...

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/lithium-carbon-bar.htm
    Lithium-bars.jpg

:D

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    It's not carbon but the Kore Mega is very light for a non carbon bar

270g I think and it's very nice on the bike

Otherwise I'd probably go for the Easton
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708

Lithium-bars.jpg

What weight though?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Carbon isn't always lighter than aluminium and not all carbon bars can be cut.
    I would go for the carbon Renthal Fatbar. Renthals are always strong and well made.
  • CitizenLee
    peter413 wrote:
    Sixc's are my favourite bars so they get my vote. I'd stay away from the Truvativ's because they're a little heavy and not recommended for DH so they're in theory weaker, heavier and narrower than the Sixc's. Pretty sure the new Haven's are 740mm so they could be a good option as well. The Kinesis Strut R750's might be an option as well if you aren't too heavy, I wouldn't run them on an AM bike but I know other lighter riders that do with no issues.

I do really like the SIXCs, but they're 785mm.

I reckon the Truvative's I linked would be ok for my riding, but will need to check weight against the others.

For the life of me I can't find anywhere that sells the new 740mm Carbon Havens.

I'll take a look at those Kinesis, although they're not a brand I'm familiar with.

POAH wrote:
    fatbar lite carbon or the new wider haven's

Cheers. As above I can't seem to find the 740mm Carbon Havens anywhere! Not a fan or the Renthals for some reason. Might be the gold :)

Cutting - get a hacksaw (but a big one not a junior hacksaw) and a fine 32TPI blade. You only cut in one direction, take it slow and steady, dont apply force or go too fast or you wont get good results. So true in many aspects of life.....

I wouldnt rush to cut down wider than your desired size bars - give them a try at full width - you might like them.

Thanks for the tip Paul! So Dremel not recommended then?

As for size, my Race Face Atlas were 785mm, then I cut them to 760mm but I still found myself holding my hands right up against the brakes.

Then tried my spare alu Havens which are 711mm, but find my hands always on the edge... so I reckon between 720mm and 750mm will be my sweet spot.

Thanks for the suggestion!

oxocube1 wrote:
    Did this spawn from my mention of Carbon bars by any chance Lee? :)

Also, another potential choice:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race ... prod106590

Very light and in your size range.

Yes mate, it's actually all your fault! :D

I did look at the Next but thought they might be a bit too XC orientated. I'm no DH racer or Freeride hero, but I can be pretty harsh on my bike so would be worried I'd break them.

Lithium-bars.jpg

Thanks bud, I did look at those originally, but as sad as it may seem, I just don't like the look of them. Nice price though!

ej2320 wrote:
    It's not carbon but the Kore Mega is very light for a non carbon bar

270g I think and it's very nice on the bike

Otherwise I'd probably go for the Easton

Cheers. As above, can't seem to find anywhere that sells the longer Easton Havens. Only Havocs @ 750mm, which are maybe a bit too DH for my needs.

Carbon isn't always lighter than aluminium and not all carbon bars can be cut.
    I would go for the carbon Renthal Fatbar. Renthals are always strong and well made.

I'm not really concerned about weight, just changing for the sake of it really, and to see how carbon bars feel on this bike.

The Thomsons are looking best bet at the moment, unless I can find these ellusive 740mm Havens!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • felix.london
    supersonic wrote:

Lithium-bars.jpg

What weight though?

~265g I think

Trek Session 8
  • CitizenLee
    Just found some Chromag Fubars Cutlass carbon bars for £54.99 reduced from £110.99

VERY tempted!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Given that it's going on a Mega, is there a reason that the Nukeproof carbon is not on your radar? Or is that a dumb question?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Want to buy my SixC :D they're the mk1 730mm versions and I've been considering selling as they're a bit narrow for me. Great bars though, bought a mk2 785mm version for my big bike
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • BloggingFit
    The Race Face Next Carbon bars on my Bird are 720mm.
  • CitizenLee
    Not a dumb question Angus :) I've just never really been into their finishing kit, although I'm know it's all great stuff.

Ordered the Chromags. Thanks for the offer though Dusk :mrgreen:

It was the SIXC I was thinking about BloggingFit, thought the next were more XC?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • BloggingFit
    They are but I'd imagine the tolerances to be pretty good. In theory you're hitting bigger stuff but then you would also have more suspension travel plus the narrower bar should have less stress put up on it
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Not a dumb question Angus :) I've just never really been into their finishing kit, although I know it's all great stuff.

Ah, O.K, I thought perhaps it wasn't up to the job.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • CitizenLee
    The Chromags arrived yesterday and they're a thing of beauty :)

Gonna fit them after work but before I do, I have a dumbass question... I bought some Tacx Carbon Assembly paste to dab a bit on the stem clamping area, but should I also put a wee bit on the brakes, shifter and Reverb clamps too?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I only put carbon paste on the stem clamp. You can easily get the brakes etc tight enough.
  • CitizenLee
    Nice one, thanks Peter... that's what I thought ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    CitizenLee wrote:

Gonna fit them after work but before I do, I have a dumbass question... I bought some Tacx Carbon Assembly paste to dab a bit on the stem clamping area, but should I also put a wee bit on the brakes, shifter and Reverb clamps too?

I put some on my grips, brakes, shifters and reverb - means you don't have to torque as much
  • CitizenLee
    POAH wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

I put some on my grips, brakes, shifters and reverb - means you don't have to torque as much

I never crank down the controls anyway, just do them tight enough that they don't move when I use them, but would still slip rather than break in the event of crash. I have a torque wrench too, but I dunno how accurate it is!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • felix.london
    CitizenLee wrote:

They do look nice on their site

Trek Session 8