Newbie sucked in by marketing - Please help!

Strong-one
Strong-one Posts: 27
edited September 2014 in The workshop
Hi guys, New to the forum and biking in general really.

Getting myself into biking came about once i got a new job that requires me to be seriously inactive for long periods, and id also like to shift some weight, so thought why not use a cycle to commute!

so i bought a carrera bike second hand, replaced the brake pads and serviced the gears etc to get it running tip-top.

I also didn't like the feel of the standard saddle as it felt a bit hard, so replaced it with a squidgy gel seat from halfords.

I did my test run today to see how long my commute would take, and upon finishing the 9 mile round trip, my rear end is screaming at me!

it turns out upon research that gel seats arent all that when covering any actual distance? is that right?

Plus there's something about i should also be wearing padded cycling shorts?

so could anyone point me in the right direction on where to go saddle-wise (hopefully avoiding halfrauds if possible - hate that shop!) and also recommend a pair of the right type of shorts.....

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply,

if it helps im based near stoke, staffs, and my commute is 4.5 miles one way but will have a 12 hour rest before commuting home

Thanks Guys

Dan

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    2x4. miles is not much. Your butt will get used to riding.
    Is your overall riding position good?
  • Strong-one
    Strong-one Posts: 27
    To be honest I wouldn't know. I'm genuinely a massive newbie and don't know what's right and what's wrong

Believe me 9 miles is massive for me lol
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The idea is the same as wearing two pairs of socks when hiking so one sock can slide against the other, rather than your foot sliding against the sock. You want a firm saddle so your shorts slide around on the saddle; if it's too soft it will grip your shorts, and you will get sores.

Having said that, if you've only just started riding it's going to take a little while for your 'arris to acclimatise!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Halfords is fine if you know what you're buying - you can't blame a shop for selling you shyte if that's what you pick up off the shelf and take to the counter.

However, I'd buy a Selle Italia SLR from the deals at Planet X - going for a bargain. I have them on nos 2 and 3 bikes and they are brill.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not much wrong with the stock Carrera saddles, I keep one in my overseas office to put on the local rental bikes (the Giant Saddle is truly dreadful) and do 35-60 miles rides on it.

Gel saddles are dreadful, you rub on them.

You don't need padded shorts for 4 miles, I don't bother for my 7 mile commute.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    You might not need them, but buying a pair was the biggest revelation for me in my first year of cycle commuting. Get some half decent ones and never look back: I went for the wiggle own brand ones (DHB), same again for winter tights. The first time you put them all you'll wonder what the hell you've done. Then you'll sit on the bike, and you'll know.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Get some aldi undershorts in the next sale - 9.99 and perfect for a shortish commute. Then just keep riding and harden your softy butt up :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The Rookie wrote:
    Gel saddles are dreadful, you rub on them.
    Rubbish! I love my gel saddle, I've had it for about 10 years, its been on four different bikes and I've done tens of thousands of miles on it. I'm now in the market for another identical one.

I would recommend the OP learns about bike fit, videos on youtube should suffice. I think I'd go back to the hard saddle, too soft a saddle can lead to 'issues' when riding for a while or regularly. Padded shorts can't hurt, but for 4.5 miles each way they shouldn't really be necessary.

Basically, make sure you are in a comfortable position on the bike (bike fit) and then keep at it. Unless you are doing hundreds of miles each week, you shouldn't feel any discomfort.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • If you are new to cycling you might not want to shell out on an expensive saddle until you are sure you want to continue especially on a second hand Carrera bike (Not a bad choice for a commuter). May I suggest a Charge spoon saddle and a pair of Tenn outdoors padded cycling shorts (Order the next size up from what you normally wear). There you go - £20 saddle - £15 shorts.