ASAP creaking noise help

veterangaz
veterangaz Posts: 79
edited July 2014 in Workshop
When i am pedalling and just as my pedal is up on the right drivetrain side i get a quite loud ticking noise. It happens when i am having to put a bit of effort in, ie uphill or fast on flat. Doesn't happen when i am not sat on it and am just moving it on my workstand. Have tightened pedals and grease the threads on them. Really annoying as have a 125 mile sportive tomorrow and will do my head in!

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Front mech cable rubbing on crank?
    Cleats?

Bars?

Stem?

Chainring bolts?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    remove pedals and put grease or anti seize on the threads. Check pedals for play on the axles. Check chainring bolts. check crank bolt or pinch bolts are secure. Take chain of the chainring and spin the cranks it should feel smooth any rumble no matter how small or deviation from smooth means your BB bearings are bad and need to be changed.

It could be one of the free things to sort out though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Might be too late, but check the seat pillar and the seat's clamps for tightness, as well. I had to chase down a creak that occurred only when seated and cranking hard, turned out to be the seat rails in the clamps. Make sure the pillar had either a good grease, it its alloy or carbon paste if its composites.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I've had a similar issue (clicking but not creaking), turned out to be the spoke magnet rubbing the speed/cadence sensor in certain situations.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    If you've got an external Hollowtech II style bottom bracket this can happen if one of the cups has worked itself loose a little and needs retightening.