Upgrading an old frame - Bottom Bracket Question

drummer_boy
drummer_boy Posts: 236
edited July 2014 in Workshop
I have been given an old GT ZR3.0 frame and forks, and am looking at turning it into a 2nd/winter training bike.

I run SRAM on my main bike, and am looking at speccing this bike out with SRAM as well.

The one area I am not too sure about (being a bit of a newbie at this, and using this project to learn as well) is the bottom bracket and crankset.

The current BB is goosed (grinding and lots of play), so I have taken it out, hoping to find some makers marks and model numbers but to no avail. I've found a site that says the bike was originally fitted with a Shimano 5500 BB. The one I have taken out is not a Shimano, and has a square tapered spindle.

What would be a good replacement BB and crankset (a double), that would work well with SRM running gear (Rival)? :?:

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Any b/b and matching crankset will work with with any gear set.

I'd track down some nice square taper/Octalink compatible cranks in the sales and use them: cheap, long lasting, perfect for what you need them for (I recently picked up some brand new full carbon Octalink cranks from Planet X - down from £200 or so to £50 for the holiday home bike. Bargain.)

Square taper/Octalink bbs last a lifetime and cost nowt.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    Done some digging, and taken some advice, and (from PlanetX) ordered myself a SRAM Rival crankset, complete with BB for £79.99. This should work nicely looking at it.