CX Wheelset Spoke options

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at getting Archetypes on XT hubs for a CX wheelset.
What spokes and lacing should I be looking for?
They'll be used mainly for road riding with the odd bridalway/cycle path, and maybe very light off road.
I'm 75Kgs.

Lasers 1x on the front?
Race 2x on the back?

cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    1x ??? :shock: :shock:

DIsc wheelsets go 3 cross end of the story.

I'd say Sapim Race or Sapim D light. Race are better spokes
    Alpina (ACI) DB for an intermediate option... I use then a lot, including on my own disc wheels
    left the forum March 2023
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    1x on (assumed) 32h would make no sense.

No harm in Lasers on the front if you want them...If you're building yourself then fatter spokes are marginally less hassle.
  • rowlers
    1x ??? :shock: :shock:

DIsc wheelsets go 3 cross end of the story.

I'd say Sapim Race or Sapim D light. Race are better spokes
    Alpina (ACI) DB for an intermediate option... I use then a lot, including on my own disc wheels

Thats settled then, 3x it is.... :lol:
    1x on (assumed) 32h would make no sense.

No harm in Lasers on the front if you want them...If you're building yourself then fatter spokes are marginally less hassle.

LBS will be building, just wanted expert opinions to compare with what they may suggest :wink:
  • rowlers
    edited July 2014
    While I'm at it, seems there are multiple versions xt hub - which is the best?
    756/786 or other....
    I've read that the newer hubs have freehub and axle issues....

PS not concerned about centerlock vs 6 bolt - best hub!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Others will correct if I am wrong, but when I was looking I think I found out that the newer ones were lighter but the older ones more reliable and easier to service?

Anyway, I went with American Classic in the end - was a toss up between those and the DT350s. I think I possibly should have gone for the DTs but the ACs were lighter and more importantly, quieter - have had no problems with them (yet). I like the steel reinforcement on the splines of the aluminium freehub on the AC - less gouging with them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Guys, don't make it look as if you were in the know... you have read a couple of reviews on Wiggle... I did read them too and at the time found them BS... the guys didn't appear to know much about hubs. Shimano have been making enclosed freehubs for many years and the XT is no different from all the others in their range... I struggle with the concept that they are all great except this one. The newer ones are lighter and less agricultural, the older were robust but not necessarily better for a road/CX oriented lot
  • rowlers
    Cheers Ugo. I'll not concern myself then and go for the later ones.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Guys, don't make it look as if you were in the know... you have read a couple of reviews on Wiggle... I did read them too and at the time found them BS... the guys didn't appear to know much about hubs. Shimano have been making enclosed freehubs for many years and the XT is no different from all the others in their range... I struggle with the concept that they are all great except this one. The newer ones are lighter and less agricultural, the older were robust but not necessarily better for a road/CX oriented lot

I wasnt trying to imply that I knew what I wrote as fact - actually I tried really hard to make it clear that I didnt and that it was just hearsay that I thought I remembered. However, it was alot more than just a few Wiggle comments - I found them all over other forums and by wheelbuilders.

That is not to say that they were all saying the new ones are rubbish, just that they were saying the old ones were more reliable in general and they lamented their passing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    apreading wrote:

I wasnt trying to imply that I knew what I wrote as fact - actually I tried really hard to make it clear that I didnt and that it was just hearsay that I thought I remembered. However, it was alot more than just a few Wiggle comments - I found them all over other forums and by wheelbuilders.

I've got the feeling it's the internet effect... the same voice keeps bouncing and intensifying... there are pelnty of people who read, digest and then spread the word somewhere else... I have built a few of the newer XT 785 and so far no problems.
  • "Guys, don't make it look as if you were in the know... you have read a couple of reviews on Wiggle... "
    Reminds me of the sort of attitude one gets in many areas of life these days from self appointed "experts"....
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Really. the M785 hub is a fine design it has no inherant problems. Every product has failures however when you read about the problems you must bear in mind how many have been sold that is the fact you don't know or the failure rate for that matter. Never had a warranty on a M785 hub either. I am using the XTR hubs currently and these have not fallen appart basically the same hub apart from a Ti freehub body. Also ultegra 6800 hubs are practically the same as XT apart from the price and OLD difference, do ultegra 6800 hubs have axle issues? no they don't.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.