Missing Link connecting and removing tools?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Would the BBB dual function tool work:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bbb- ... lsrc=aw.ds

or do I need the KMC tools for an 11 speed Campag missing link?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Any missing link tool will work, they're dead simple. It's only for removal, you don't need a tool to install one. (Except a chain tool if you need to remove a pin to fit it.)
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Box of disposable gloves is quite nice when you are connecting the links up.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I thought with 11 speed you need one to close the link? I have had a brief attempt and was unsuccessful its nothing like as easy as 10 speed.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I thought with 11 speed you need one to close the link? I have had a brief attempt and was unsuccessful its nothing like as easy as 10 speed.

They are a bit more difficult to get closed, but I'm not sure you need the daftly expensive tool. I just used a wide jawed set of grippers and folded the chain so I could squeeze the link together. Not sure how best to explain it, but it worked a treat

Removal tool to remove is a must, or use the "notch it up on the big ring and hit it with a rock" approach, which also works
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Use a removal tool for 11sp, but the link can be "snapped" together just by pressing down on a pedal.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    11spd is harder to get closed compared to the 10spd version. I just half close it then put pressure on a pedal and it then clicks shut. I don't see anyone getting the 11spd one open without a tool.