Brakes

Mikomotor
Mikomotor Posts: 15
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello,

Can someone point me to the recognised 'best brakes' (if these exist)? I have a 2009 Madone 4.5 with brakes described as being 'alloy dual pivot'. On occasion, on steep descents, I have that scary experience that the brakes are not giving me sufficient control of the bike's speed. This happened again last week coming down one of the descents in the Leeds / Harrogate Stage and the experience was sufficiently bad to make me resolove to investigate better brakes.

Any help / pointers much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Probably nothing wrong with the calipers themselves - you might want to think about changing the pads though. Impossible to suggest anything particularly useful without a bit more info.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Decent pads (for example kool stop salmon) are supposed to make a big difference.

Beyond that, any shimano brakes from 105 upwards are excellent.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Do a bit of searching. This topic has been done at great length. Repeatedly.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Decent pads (for example kool stop salmon) are supposed to make a big difference.

Beyond that, any shimano brakes from 105 upwards are excellent.

This is the best advice. You will find if you are heavy or it is wet rim brakes are quite poor which is normal.
  • Mikomotor
    Mikomotor Posts: 15
    Thanks everyone for your help - cheers!
    Mike.