About to paint old frame.

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi, I'm about to paint an old steel frame which has plenty of scratches and paint chipping off in places, Should I strip the frame back to bare metal and sand or sand the existing paint down a little and use some type of filler in the chipped areas? Also any tips would be great! Thanks.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Taking it all the way back is best but will require lots of prep, priming etc - the latter option is quicker but the finish won't be as good.

Personally I'd save the trouble and send it to Triple S and get it powder coated.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • carl1983
    Thanks, just checked their web site they seem cheap enough.
  • carl1983
    Taking it all the way back is best but will require lots of prep, priming etc - the latter option is quicker but the finish won't be as good.

Personally I'd save the trouble and send it to Triple S and get it powder coated.

Tripple S says £40 for frames and £18 forks, Does that include clearcoat? I will be adding my own decals so will want to clearcoat it myself.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Always strip back to bare metal as you never know what paint was used and how it will react to new paint, and will avoid it chipping off in layers as all new paint layers will combine with each other.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    carl1983 wrote:

Tripple S says £40 for frames and £18 forks, Does that include clearcoat? I will be adding my own decals so will want to clearcoat it myself.

Best to give them a call - I've only ever had motorbike parts done but can vouch that there're work is perfect.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.