1st bike advice

tomlawrence
tomlawrence Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I have a couple of bikes in mind but never had a mountainbike so wanted a 2nd opinion please.

Boardman Mountain Bike Team Full Suspension 650B (can pick one up for 700 secondhand)
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -650b-2014
or

Boardman Mountain Bike Comp HT 650B 2014 (can get for around 400 to 450 secondhand)
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -650b-2014

Both of the above though secondhand are all advertised "almost new" and with receipts etc (must be people selling cycle2work ones or something, god knows)

Can anyone think of a better bike for the money? and if not which one should i go for?

Comments

• Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    You wont go wrong with either - Boardmans generally get good reviews. You should test ride any bike you are interested in as it is pointless getting a good deal on a bike that you subsequently don't get on with, especially as you are looking at HT and fully suss bikes. Very different rides.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    £700 sounds toppish for a bike that is £1k new and you can get for c£900 with British Cycling discount.
  • It depends on what you will be using it for mostly - no point getting a full suspension bike unless you'll be riding downhill or technical trails, especially if it is more expensive.
  • Both great bikes, I almost got a Boardman once while ago, like Josh said no point getting a full suss if your riding style won't require it, I do mostly Midlands trails on my HT and so far I've not needed a full suss, so have in mind what kind of riding your be using it for, trail!s,tow paths occasional road, then a fill suss would be overkill, but more techinacal trails,descents, exploring the unridden then full suss it is, its a case of either buying too much, or not enough!
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • bj639
    bj639 Posts: 76
    as well as the 10% off with british cycling you can pre buy halfords vouchers and save a further 10% so 20% off so the full susser comes to £800 and about £650 for the 650b Team HT

just google 20% halfords for how to do it
  • thanks all, I went for the hard tail in the end, ill see how I go and if I do start doing more downhill I can always get a FS later.