Campag Veloce - shifting too many gears!

andy81
andy81 Posts: 118
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Following a crash last year, in which my rear derailleur took a bit of a knock (along with a few scrapes on the shifters), I've been having issues with shifting into bigger gears. Going from the biggest sprocket to the next 1-2 sprockets is fine, but when I want to shift into any bigger gears, there feels to be much more resistance on the shifter, and then once the shifting button is pressed, is drops down around 5 gears at once. Whilst I can easily shift up, this is driving me nuts.

I've tried playing around with the tension on the rear derailleur, and this seems to make no difference. My next guess is that the shifter is at fault, but can anyone offer any suggestions on this?

Also, if it is the shifter, can it be repaired, or am I looking at a new set of shifters, in which case given the scrapes on the rear derailleur etc, I might be looking at replacing the group set?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    Could be that your RD hanger is out of alignment.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you want to solve this yourself look at the park tool guides and school yourself up first before fiddling. It is that or take it to your LBS. There are so many things it could be including a worn shifter. the older ultra shift veloce shifters are repairable. Get them to a shop with a Whiskers account or send them to velotech. Both should be able to help.

Hanger allignment issues would mess up the upshift as well as the down. If both are messed up it could the hanger or cables diffcult to say without looking at it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • andy81
    andy81 Posts: 118
    Thanks, that makes some sense. I was thinking that LBS was the way to go given my fairly small selection of tools and relatively limited experience!
  • I've been having the exact same issue. In my case, the problem was the shifter and I'm currently waiting on a new shifter body. I'm using Athena 11 speed which isn't servicable (just have to replace the whole thing minus the lever), but you might have more luck getting yours serviced.

I toyed for hours with the cable tension and everything else I could think of, but realised that even without the cable attached to the rear derailleur, the shifter still does the same thing with no tension at all. Maybe try releasing the cable and see if yours does the same - you'll quickly be able to tell if the problem is at the shifter or not.