Specialized Shoe Fit?

KonkyWonky
KonkyWonky Posts: 186
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a new pair of shoes, and am considering a pair of Specialized, primarily because they review well and I'm hoping I can get a body geometry shoe fit to rectify some outer foot pain I've been experiencing.

Do Specialized do such a thing as just a shoe fit and has anyone had it? Would be interested to hear your experiences.
2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
2003 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    I don't know of a Specialized shoe fitting service - trying them on in a shop or using a chart has it's limitations compared to riding long term.
    My first pair of clipless shoes were Shimano but they were a bit narrow for me (I don't think I've got wide feet!).
    Every pair of normal shoes I own are a size 9, my Specialized Touring Elite shoes are EU size 44(UK 9.5) and fit me well.
    When I was looking to change from my Shimano's I was swayed by the online feedback that suggested that Specialized shoes were a good fit for almost everyone that had used them.
    The only time I think about my shoes is when I think how lucky I am that they never bother me.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,101
    for shoes, it's best to go to a shop with a good selection and try plenty

fit varies even within the same brand, let alone between brands

once you narrow down selection, check the footbeds, if they're thin/flimsy you may want to replace with better ones, which can take a smidge more space

do you need extra arch support? again you'll need to change footbeds which will need space

for specialized, a bg fit shop should be able to assess fit etc., but will probably restrict options to the brand, which may not be 'best' for you

some bike fit places can also do it for shoes, footbeds, shims, wedges etc, but not all have the skill/experience, and most people don't need that degree of correction
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • KonkyWonky
    The problem with going to a shop with plenty to try on is that most shoes feel comfortable initially, it's not until I have 15 miles in the legs that the foot pain occurs. I was hoping that rather than trial and error a proper shoe fit may be my best bet.

I'm pretty sure I pronate but to what degree I'm not sure. Also considering a pair of Bonts with the mouldable footbed but not sure if they are likely to rectify the issue on their own.

Thanks for your replies :)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have Specialized BG Comp MTB shoes(they do a road version)and use them with CB egg-beaters on my road bike.Very comfortable and wider fitting than Shimano.I just can't seem to get comfy in road shoes but have no problems at all with the MTB system.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,118
    I don't know of a Specialized shoe fitting service - trying them on in a shop or using a chart has it's limitations compared to riding long term.
    My first pair of clipless shoes were Shimano but they were a bit narrow for me (I don't think I've got wide feet!).
    Every pair of normal shoes I own are a size 9, my Specialized Touring Elite shoes are EU size 44(UK 9.5) and fit me well.
    When I was looking to change from my Shimano's I was swayed by the online feedback that suggested that Specialized shoes were a good fit for almost everyone that had used them.
    The only time I think about my shoes is when I think how lucky I am that they never bother me.

Except me, that is - too narrow and not enough support for my mahoosive arches

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,101
    KonkyWonky wrote:
    The problem with going to a shop with plenty to try on is that most shoes feel comfortable initially, it's not until I have 15 miles in the legs that the foot pain occurs. I was hoping that rather than trial and error a proper shoe fit may be my best bet.

I'm pretty sure I pronate but to what degree I'm not sure. Also considering a pair of Bonts with the mouldable footbed but not sure if they are likely to rectify the issue on their own.

foot pain where? may just be you need some better footbeds, i like the ones with a metatarsal 'button', otherwise after a while i get pain, i know specialized bg and esoles both have one (with the esoles ones you can add/remove the button to test)

quick/easy check for pronation...

stand barefoot, take the weight off one foot until it is fully relaxed and barely touching the floor, then shift weight back to it until fully loaded, does your ankle roll inwards as the weight is applied?

another sign can be if knee(s) move side to side when pedalling

...but these are just possibilities, it can be a lot more complicated

for extra support the blue (++) specialized bg footbeds may be enough, for more support i've found the esoles e-fit the best (way better than sidas/similar moulded footbeds)

if you say which area of the country you are in, you may get some suggestions for where to go for professional assessment, in london cyclefit are good, they've got a physio as well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • KonkyWonky
    sungod wrote:
    KonkyWonky wrote:

foot pain where? may just be you need some better footbeds, i like the ones with a metatarsal 'button', otherwise after a while i get pain, i know specialized bg and esoles both have one (with the esoles ones you can add/remove the button to test)

quick/easy check for pronation...

stand barefoot, take the weight off one foot until it is fully relaxed and barely touching the floor, then shift weight back to it until fully loaded, does your ankle roll inwards as the weight is applied?

another sign can be if knee(s) move side to side when pedalling

...but these are just possibilities, it can be a lot more complicated

for extra support the blue (++) specialized bg footbeds may be enough, for more support i've found the esoles e-fit the best (way better than sidas/similar moulded footbeds)

if you say which area of the country you are in, you may get some suggestions for where to go for professional assessment, in london cyclefit are good, they've got a physio as well

The pain is on the outer edge of the foot around the contact point with the pedal, my two smallest toes also become a bit numb. I've tried different loosening and tightening & moved the cleat position around but neither has stopped the pain. I've also tried a pair of insoles from my running shoes which do mean I can cycle further before the pain starts, but it is still there.

I'm based in Renfreshire so reasonably close to Glasgow, that's why I was looking for advice on the Specialized fitting service as thought Dales Cycles would be an option. If anyone has any advice regarding other options though I'd be more than happy to hear from you :)
  • Mystic8v
    Mystic8v Posts: 3
    Hi, I know this is a really old post but did you resolve your foot pain on the outer edge and toe numbness as this is exactly what I get, I've been for several bike fits but still pain when I ride, thanks.
    Regards