Wheelbase - shocking experience

kamil1891
kamil1891 Posts: 658
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
So, I bought a bike for my girlfriend. Together with pedals and a Giro Sonnet helmet...

We have been quickly told that the helmet is not available at the moment, so we asked just for the bike and pedals to arrive and they did so (without the front wheel skewer though).

Few weeks later we still haven't heard anything about the helmet. We thought 2 weeks of waiting was within reason, but decided to give them a call and ask about the delivery. We've been told that the helmet is still not available and will be available in 3 weeks. We've been also offered a cheaper helmet + refund or a lot more expensive one with a little discount. However, we did not like both options and decided we will wait for the one we wanted.

After the day the helmet was meant to be available, we gave them another call. At this point it was around 6 weeks since the purchase. The colleague of the salesman our purchase was dealt with, told us that the helmet is still not in... and will never be due to the problems suppliers were facing. We decided we want a refund straight away, but it couldn't have been done at the time. We were meant to receive a call back to proceed with the refund.

I made a call three more times and have always been told that the message will be left for the guy we initially dealt with. I haven't received a single response!! After more than 2 months, finally, we got our refund back - 59.99... and a quick ''sorry''.

After so much arguing over the phone and so much time wasted we've been left very disappointed. You cannot make an excuse that you're busy for more than 2 months. If we did not push so many times, they would totally ignore the fact they've collected the cash and did not supply the purchase.

It was the first time we've used them for any cycling-related shopping and certainly the last.

Comments

• SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Mate you need to get a grip.

You have shopped online to get the best price and the downside of online retailers is that from time to time they may run out of stock and not be able to fulfil supply of every item on their website. They seem to have told you this and after a fairly lengthy wait have offered you a solution - either a refund or alternative helmet.

It's not as though the item you're buying is a one off and you could have bought it or and equivalent at any number of places.

On the basis of your experience, do you not think that slagging them off on a forum seems a little OTT?
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    He/she is not slagging them off but just stating what happened during their buying experience. It does seem this forum is a little twitchy about negative comments relating to online retailers. Perhaps they're valid - perhaps not.
  • Kangarouge wrote:
    It does seem this forum is a little twitchy about negative comments relating to online retailers.

This has more to do with someone joining the forum just to have a pop at a retailer/manufacturer. You see it week in, week out on here. They usually have nothing else to contribute and leave as soon as they have achieved their objective.

Not the case here though :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Hardly a "shocking experience" though is it? Cancel the order go and buy the helmet elsewhere and get on with your life. Jeez.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Been in wheelbase shop before, bought some clothing of them,thought they we average .

Booked there sportive over 4 weeks ago, never had any correspondence from them at all and the sportive is tomorrow, not good customer service, compared to other sportives I've entered . I've had no response to an email I sent them last week, was engaged when tried to ring and just thought meh ! .

Won't be using them again, shops shouldn't advertise saying they have in stock items and sell an item unless they have it, I guess a lot of retailers are like this, when searching for my caadx lots advertised in stock till I tried to buy it..
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I ordered some shorts on line. Found out they were not in stock due to an error, cancelled order and got them from somewhere else. Plenty of retailers to use no need to wait normally.
  • TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    New member or not its worth letting others know so they know what to expect should they order from them.

Fair enough on the initial wait but it took far too long to come clean and admit they were not going to get more stock in and at that point they should have issued the refund there and then. Multiple phone calls after this chasing for a refund the OP should not have to chase for is poor and there is no excuse for it.
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Cancer is shocking ....

Wheelbase are just a retailer whose service you find to be a little below par.
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • kamil1891
    The thing is I did pay a retail price for the helmet. I did not bother looking further for any discounts etc and I could possibly find some. Also, I couldn't cancel the order as it was already processed - bike and pedals were delivered.

I'm just sharing the experience with the main emphasis on the absolute lack of customer service. For me, in the age of extraordinary competitiveness within any markets there should be no place for such things. In my opinion is worth sharing and hopefully, retailers with such attitude will be out of the business.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    On delay, you were offered two different helmet options but you chose to wait. Check.

Then the wait turned into 'not available' so you were offered a refund. Check.

Then the refund took a while to happen. Not ideal but these things happen. Check.

If this is shocking to you then life will get the better of you sooner rather than later.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    I think the point is that his/her life is about to improve, as they're not going to shop there any more.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I bought a bike from them a few weeks back. Called ahead, they had it ready when I got there to test ride despite roof work being done. They happily swapped some parts for me with nice rates and couldn't have been more helpful. That's my experience.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • kamil1891
    maddog 2 wrote:
    On delay, you were offered two different helmet options but you chose to wait. Check.

Then the wait turned into 'not available' so you were offered a refund. Check.

Then the refund took a while to happen. Not ideal but these things happen. Check.

If this is shocking to you then life will get the better of you sooner rather than later.

If that took a week or two, then yes, I would have lived with it. But come on, sorting one helmet out shouldn't be taking more than 2 months. Also, if they had sent a single e-mail or gave a call with an apology for causing such inconvienience and their further stock unavailability, but that was also too much to ask for.

I understand people have different experiences, but for me wheelbase is a definite no.
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    The way you entitled the thread was massively over the top though. Should have said "Wheelbase - mildly inconvenient experience" and then it wouldn't have come across as being quite so silly
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Curto80 wrote:
    The way you entitled the thread was massively over the top though. Should have said "Wheelbase - mildly inconvenient experience" and then it wouldn't have come across as being quite so silly
    +1 - yup, you obviously haven't bought much cycling kit yet OP, and come on, it is only a helmet.
  • kamil1891
    I must have spent a total of a cost of a nice new car on cycling kit and was never treated as badly.

It's not just the helmet. It's the time - 2months+ of hassle.

I have been working till late and every f**king day I was just wondering if I'm gonna get on their line, which closes at 5.30pm, and sort anything out, again and again. Obviously, they did not care to sort it out in their time!

You are not adding much to the topic by telling me how "exactly" it should be called.

Thank you.