Rockshox XC30 TK 29" - Few questions

James68
James68 Posts: 38
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've just upgraded the front fork on my bike. But... just a few things I'd like to check. I have got the 2014 Rockshox XC30 TK 29" disc (coil) fork with a medium spring. It was installed on a 2013 Felt HT, replacing some 2013 SR Suntour XCM forks which had a non-tapered steerer tube.

1. The head tube looks too big for the forks.
The fork seems like it is too small and doesn't fit the head tube properly. It looks similar, but to a worse degree than the bike here: (http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/bik ... 700-80.jpg). Here are a few pics to show what I mean (on my bike):

There's no play coming from the headset and it feels solid, it's the correct size. My concern is whether this will damage the steerer tube / head tube, or let dust get into the caged headset bearings, wearing out them sooner etc...

2. Squeak from forks when compressed.
There's a squeaky noise when the forks are compressed 15mm or further. They sound vaguely similar to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AauFyCbKxoU) but not quite as bad. When I went out on my first ride on the new forks with a club they said it was normal, but I'd like to get another opinion in case there is a bigger problem behind this.

Thanks, James.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You have nothing to worry about.
    The noise is perfectly normal. It's the spring inside the stanchion and oil flowing through the damper.
    The photo you linked to relating to the size of your steerer relative to the size of the head tube isn't a problem either. As long as your steerer tube is the right size for the headset that's all that matters. The headset is usually bigger to accept an internal headset and it may even accept a bigger headset but there is absolutely nothing wrong.
  • James68
    James68 Posts: 38
    Ok thanks for the help
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    James68 wrote:
    The head tube looks too big for the forks.
    The fork seems like it is too small and doesn't fit the head tube properly..

You have put the right crown race on the forks, haven't you? The crown race is an integral part of the headset, and if you swap forks between frames, you need to swap the crown race from one fork to the other, too.