Cycling Quiz & the Law

Comments

• porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    3 wrong. As an all year round commuter I didn't realise I was breaking the law by not having a red rear reflector & reflective pedals in addition to my two rear lights!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • Irwin Mitchell....bunch of ambulance chasers! :evil:
    (Got 100%)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    75% but the question about the ASL is confusing. You can only cross the stop line if there is a broken section. If it is solid all the way across you can't. You also have to enter the ASL through the entry point so if it is on the left and you filtered up the right you can't cross the first line. (Technically speaking).

I think ASLs are mostly a waste of time.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    87.5% A couple of the questions were badly worded. Won't say what as it will give away the answer, don't overthink it to get 100%.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    The ASL one is confusing because they mention a red box - I've never, ever seen an ASL painted red, just blue and green...got it right though :)

Got the riding on the pavement question wrong on a technicality - picked the council can enact bylaws or something to enable you to ride on them (I was thinking of shared use paths and cycle lanes on pavement) and also the passenger one, which would never apply to me anyway as I'd never carry a passenger. I picked the child seat one for that as I've never seen an adult seat on a bike before I think - anyone?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    100%

Yeah, the ASL one was worded funny.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    Didn't know the one about passing space, but then I have no clue what the highway code says about that for cars either.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think I got 3 wrong. the red light, pavement and the tandem one.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    62.5%.... I always thought it was illegal to enter and ASL if there was a stop line?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Pavement one isn't right. There are shared pavements on Embankment that you're allowed to ride on. All my other answers were guesses. I clearly know nothing about cycling law.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    ShandyH wrote:
    Pavement one isn't right. There are shared pavements on Embankment that you're allowed to ride on. All my other answers were guesses. I clearly know nothing about cycling law.

That's true - there are lots of shared use pavements across London...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    87.5%

The ASL one is the one I got wrong - because all the ASLs I've ever encountered (as far as I recall) are presented in such a way as one (incorrect) answer seemed more appropriate than the correct one.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    6 out of 8 for me, got the one wrong about passengers on bikes, thought it was children :oops: and one of the other questions wrong too!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Got the last one wrong re passengers on a bike! Though I agree some were not worded very well. Also some rear lights that incorporate a reflector are legal if they reach the required BS. That's British Standard by the way ;-)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    100%, although I had to second-guess what they meant by the pavement question. The "appropriate bylaw" could have meant that they had designated it a shared-use path.
  • Reflectors are not lighting, they reflect light from another source.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The pavement question and answer are totally wrong...... The road is pavement (there is a hint in the name of the road surface on a famous race, pave) after all, and there are footpaths marked for shared use......the appropriate byelaw answer was wrong according to them JP, the correct answer was according to the solicitor I'd never want to appoint was never when I did it which seems to suggest a change from the observations above.

The ASL one was worded really badly, you still can't cross a stop line, but you can pass it, but I guessed what they meant by that, otherwise I got them all right.

That may be correct about reflectors but they come under the road vehicle lighting regulations, and lighting may mean anything that shows visible light (like a reflector) and not the source?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    I got the passenger one wrong, mainly because I don't give a crap. The rest I got right by guessing what an unimaginative solicitor would advise. I concur that a couple of the questions were just plain wrong.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Well correctly speaking cyclists are still not allowed to cross a solid white line on red even if there's an ASL. There should be a dashed entry point.

Totally stupid and I do ignore that (especially on ones where there is no entry point) but still the legal standpoint I believe.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Am I the only one to get the alcohol related question wrong? Got the other 7 though
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks that way...

So you gave a wrong answer to the pavement one, but the one they say is right?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    patrickf wrote:
    Well correctly speaking cyclists are still not allowed to cross a solid white line on red even if there's an ASL. There should be a dashed entry point.

Totally stupid and I do ignore that (especially on ones where there is no entry point) but still the legal standpoint I believe.

agreed that was what I thought, technically you couldnt cross the solid line on red, and it was one of the many flaws of using ASLs to create "cycling infrastructure" as you technically are forced into putting yourself at more risk to navigate certain junction setups because of the daft way they are constructed,though equally you are allowed to pass a red light if a policeman instructs you to do so..but that wasnt an option :D

and again its not the case that you should "never" ride on the pavement (even if we ignore the they mean footpath not a pavement thing) only footpaths alongside roads does that really apply to, footpaths out in the countryside are subject to local bylaws/landowners etc, and in anycase the Home Office issued guidance that said considerate cyclists who use footpaths out of fear of conditions on the roads were allowed to at the discretion of the police...rubbish quiz anyway :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also how do you get from a driveway to the road? Or onto the road?! When I set off on my bike I don't walk the bike onto the road ,mount it then set off. I set off from a dropped kerb.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    A fetishistic promotion of helmets, and as others have mentioned, several questions worded such that multiple answers fit, or worse. Surely a law company would be advertising their competence in this matter?
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    Another bad question was the lighting one. Pedal reflectors must be fitted to all new bikes sold after a certain date, but there is no law saying all bikes must have them fitted, as many bikes are sold without pedals, or pedals may be changed after sale.

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    pedal reflectors are a MUST if riding on the road as are rear reflectors.

IFAIK most rear lights can count as a reflector as well. I have never heard of the law on pedal reflectors being enforced though, if it ever is then good luck finding legal clipless pedals...

I got one wrong, I always assumed that cyclists had the same legal alcohol limit as everyone else.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Jehannum wrote:
    Another bad question was the lighting one. Pedal reflectors must be fitted to all new bikes sold after a certain date, but there is no law saying all bikes must have them fitted, as many bikes are sold without pedals, or pedals may be changed after sale.

What you are saying is true of a front reflector and bell but the RVLR requires all bikes ridden in the dark (or in conditions of poor visibility, I think) to have a rear reflector and - it manufactured after 1985, IIRC - pedal reflectors.

_
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    75%

I thought cyclists were subject to the same drink driving test as other road users.

Also, the riding on pavements one. There are loads of pavements the local council has designated pavements as shared use (many in Woking where I live, the Embankment towards the Chelsea end, etc, etc) so I think the quiz has that one wrong.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    75%

I thought cyclists were subject to the same drink driving test as other road users.

Also, the riding on pavements one. There are loads of pavements the local council has designated pavements as shared use (many in Woking where I live, the Embankment towards the Chelsea end, etc, etc) so I think the quiz has that one wrong.

I answered the pavement one in the way that I thought the quiz wanted and got 100%, but yes they should have been clear about shared-use pavements.