Which connecting pin for XT?

lloydy123
lloydy123 Posts: 74
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Which connecting pin do I need to join an XT HG 95 chain?

I have tried a 10 speed dura ace pin but it seems slighty too long and hence sits proud of the chain and not flush

I'm not keen on using a missing link as I already have a KMC link on the chain

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I always have 2 KMC links on my chain makes it easier to untangle it if you get chain suck and easier to shorten it if you bust your mech and need to singlespeed it home. The quicklinks are as strong as the chain so theres no worry you could have 5 links in and its still not going anywhere.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A missing link is a much better solution than the stupid pins Shimano use.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    Part number 08X 9801-1, listed as for a 7801 Dura Ace chain but used on MTB 10 speed too.
  • lloydy123
    mister p wrote:
    Part number 08X 9801-1, listed as for a 7801 Dura Ace chain but used on MTB 10 speed too.

Thanks for all the input.

That is the exact part number that I have used.

It appeared to sit proud of the chain by 1mm. I stopped driving it at the first click and the link moves freely.

1-1.jpg

Then I tried turned my chain tool through 180 degrees and pushed the pin back out to make it flush but now the link is far too open! See below. This makes me think that the connecting pins are not compatible.

DSCN1323.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, they are just sh1t.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It is compatable, it's not fitted right, but then they are, as CD, says, shite.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lloydy123
    The Rookie wrote:
    It is compatable, it's not fitted right, but then they are, as CD, says, shite.

I'm confident it was fitted right, just too long for the narrow chain. Think i'll just scrap it and buy another new chain, waste of money :(
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You either got the wrong one or you fitted it wrong.

The one you say you fitted was the correct one.

Make of that what you wish.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The quicklinks are as strong as the chain so theres no worry you could have 5 links in and its still not going anywhere.

I disagree, I've broken several, which considering they make up 1% of a chain is disproportionate. More convenient than a joining pin though.
    I'm confident it was fitted right, just too long for the narrow chain

No, you just did it wrong. You can push it through the whole way if you want, there's no 'stop', you just pushed it right through the outer plate, so it wouldn't go back through with the flat end.
  • lloydy123
    The other end of the pin was positioned perfectly flush with the outside of the chain and it popped in to this position

DSCN1317.jpg
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You don't want it perfectly flush, it does protrude by a few thou. Perfectly flush is too far.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Dura ace is definitely the one. We use them all the time no problems on 10spd MTB chains.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I assume you didn't read the instruction manual?

It was absolutely fine....before you pushed it back the other way. It's meant to protrude from the other side, now you've just ruined your chain.

Read the manual first: http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... 07-ENG.pdf (Pages 42-43)