Any thoughts on the proposed Vauxhall cycleway?

Applespider
Applespider Posts: 506
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
TFL have announced their plans for the Oval to Pimlico stretch of CS5.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cyclin ... tcmp=19423

Consultation is open until 14 September. I stopped in at the public view tonight and spoke to a few of the people involved. I had a few criticisms of bits of the design and it was interesting to hear that the designers also aren't particularly happy about some of the compromises that they've had to make and hearing their reasoning for why those bits have ended up as is.

It is vastly different from their original proposals with a totally segregated carriageway from Oval to past Millbank. I'm in two minds on it. I can see how it will be a million times better for those who currently battle for space to get across pedestrian crossings and take the cycle path. I'm less convinced how much easier it will be for those of us who have decided that taking the road route is quicker. The southbound route over the bridge looks much better (couldn't really be worse), the northbound route looks more of a nuisance if you are coming from the South Lambeth/Nine Elms.

It's still a bit woolly as to the route through Pimlico and but I like how it joins up with a proposed Quietway around Vincent Square for those going more into Victoria.

They are saying that it's likely to be built over the winter and be ready to go in spring.

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Looks like a complete faff.

On my way in, I come from Wandsworth Road, left on to Vauxhall Bridge and Right on to Millbank. At the moment this is completely fine (I use the road, not the stupid little cycle path, occupied by pedestrians and sometimes a parked taxi) Yes, I have to cross a couple of lanes whilst on the bridge, but it's fine and safe. In this scheme, it looks a pain to use the cycle crossing to use the "wrong" side of the bridge and get on the segregated, two-way lane

Coming home, I come from the Albert Embankment and go "straight over" again onto Wandsworth road. I use the road as it is, its fast and the cycle lanes at the moment are not useful. Yes, I have to contend with road traffic, but if you take the lane, be positive and be quick, it's fine! This proposed scheme has no additional provision for me, or anyone else travelling east to west as far as I can see? Its only dealing with people going north or south.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    The major problem I see is if I'm coming from Stockwell or Clapham and going to Victoria the bike lane is on completely the wrong side of the road. I would stick to the bus lane so northbound it's completely pointless from my point of view. The southbound journey will improve but only because its so horrible at the moment with the tiny little cycle lane and all the traffic whizzing past.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Please fill out the consultation if you have strong feelings either way.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cyclin ... nsultation