RS Rev compression damper

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
My daughter runs RS Recon XC forks (Revelation chassis and modified out to 130mm travel) on her Dirty Jo and now wants to add a compression damper (doesn't run one as standard, just uses the physical resistance from the rebound - we've already used thicker oil to increase damping).

Have had a look around the net already, but anyone know a place to get one that won't break the bank?
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Steel or aluminium stanchions.
    A revelation moco damper should fit if you have aluminium stanchions.
    TF Tuned are usually as competitive as anyone for internals and they can advise you which one you need as well.
    Putting in heavier oil with no damper will just increase internal drag, it's not damping.
  • The Rookie
    Ally stanchions.....

Not sure I agree about thicker oil, damping IS drag, the first dampers on cars used clutch packs, may not be the best way of damping but it IS damping.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Damping is controlled drag in one direction. Putting thicker oil in your lowers creates drag in both directions and puts extra load on the bushes which aren't designed to take any linear forces.
    Anyway, I believe the compression dampers from the earlier Revs should do you.
  • The Rookie
    Damping is in both directions, that is why you ideally have seperate compression and rebound, early dampers were the same in both directions.

The lube oil in the lowers is the correct grade it's only the damper oil I've changed so the bushes are unaffected - as I said in the first post (it uses the drag from the rebound damper when working in the wrong direction).