Wheel true and brake caliper moving

terryhughes
terryhughes Posts: 62
edited July 2014 in Workshop
No idea what I am doing so after some advice.

Background is I am bigger than an average rider and had/having rear wheel issues. buying a handbuilt 36 spoke wheel is out of my price range so I am doing the following.

after every 3 or 4 rides I notice my wheel isn't true so I turn the bike upside down wind the brake very close to the wheel and give the spokes half a turn to true the wheel where it is out.

I have noticed that my rear caliper is on an angle after a couple of rides to the point of when I pull it it moves the wheel slightly. The wheel is true but spoke tensions vary (plucking method). Doing around 25 miles per ride

Is the wheel dished? Best way to center it if is? I have considered backing all spokes off and tightening equally both side until centre and true. all this in the frame as I don't have a trueing stand. Wheel is a Mavic open pro on a 105 hub 32 hole.

Comments

• taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Wheels usually only stay true with fairly equal spoke tensions. I'd be looking to use a truing stand (either home-made or bought) and spoke tension meter to ensure that dish, radial true, lateral true and spoke tension are all appropriate.
    The wheels sound sensible for a big rider.

My guess is that as groups of spoke are fiddled with the general spoke tension of the wheel has even greater variation, which then causes the wheel to go out of true when weight and power is applied to them.