Which bike?

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Some time ago I posted a topic asking for buying advice on the better offerings at the budget end of the FS market. Since then nothing has come to pass. A combination of a screamingly hectic work schedule, a desire to learn more before parting with my shekels and a dab of procrastination has kept me on my old rigid Trek 4300 boneshaker. Well, it’s time to pull my finger out!

The upside is that I know just a little more about all this now so I’m hopefully making better buying decisions. And so I’ve narrowed it down to two. But can’t decide which…

So, do I go for…

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mon ... e-ec061711

Or do I go for…

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... e-ec055946

The plan would be to put a Pike on the front of whichever I go for as soon as I get the bike (unless someone has a better idea…), ride the bike for six months or so and then undertake a comprehensive round of upgrading.

So, which should I go for and why?

I’ll be riding anything and everything and its first major outing is likely to be BPW.

Thanks folks.
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Why not buy the Process 153 which already has a Pike on it for £500 more (and some other different kit - although I note it has SRAM shifters instead of Deore so that might be a good enough reason).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Angus Young
    Why not buy the Process 153 which already has a Pike on it for £500 more (and some other different kit - although I note it has SRAM shifters instead of Deore so that might be a good enough reason).

Good point, but I felt it was moving up into too much travel for my needs.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Kona all day long for me. Deore stoppers, shifters and chainset, an SLX clutch mech...and a dropper post..would be an easy decision for me
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Angus Young
    Kona all day long for me. Deore stoppers, shifters and chainset, an SLX clutch mech...and a dropper post..would be an easy decision for me

Although kit does matter I'm going to be upgrading the crap out of it within the year so it's not a deal breaker. I think that's what's making the choice a little more difficult as I can't just play Top Trumps with the spec sheets.
  • felix.london

Although kit does matter I'm going to be upgrading the crap out of it within the year so it's not a deal breaker. I think that's what's making the choice a little more difficult as I can't just play Top Trumps with the spec sheets.

I'd still rather ride for a year on the Deore kit than the SRAM kit. Why not just get a the frame and parts you want from the outset?

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Kona for me. I have ridden a Process 134 and it's absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately it rides better than my Mega TR :-(
  • Angus Young
    Why not just get a the frame and parts you want from the outset?

Ah... I'm glad you asked! Lol

There is method in my madness. The bike I'm riding now is a horrible rigid Trek 4300 which is just the pits. Can't complain as it was given to me for free, but it does make off-road more of a pain than a pleasure. So either of these bikes is going to feel like I've died and gone to heaven straight out of the box. So by leaving as is for now (excepting the fork) and upgrading later I get two big hits of upgrade yumminess rather than just one. I'm stringing out the pleasure.
  • Angus Young
    Kona for me. I have ridden a Process 134 and it's absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately it rides better than my Mega TR :-(

The fact that you rate the 134 compared to the excellent TR is a pretty good recommendation.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm just glad I got the Mega TR so cheap! The Process 134 feels a little more stable and the rear suspension is a bit more active and less prone to bottoming on heavy landings. Other than that is feels similar, it's a slack, hard hitting short travel, reasonably light trail bike that can be ridden a lot harder than it's short suspension travel would suggest.
  • felix.london
    two big hits of upgrade yumminess rather than just one. I'm stringing out the pleasure.

Can't argue with that! And yeah - I'd say some upgrading would be recommended to get it (the Kona) down to it's fighting weight...single ring and XT anyone? :wink:

Trek Session 8