Bib shorts with great padding

Dippydog2
Dippydog2 Posts: 291
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I have always just used shorts, but want to change to bib shorts with really good padding for my longer rides.

Recommendations? I have read the review in Cycling Plus, but it seemed a pretty small sample to me.

Not fussed about the price. Only the best for my rear end. :D

Comments

• Geo555
    Geo555 Posts: 96
    I've just treated myself to a pair of these -

http://road.cc/content/review/93598-pel ... bib-shorts

Don't be put off by the price in the review, they are £100 from here.
    http://www.lky7sports.com/sports-discip ... horts.html
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    At the top end Assos F1 Mille seem to rate highly although personally I prefer the F1 Uno

Mid range the Castelli bibs get good reviews for the pad quality.

More basic but still getting good reviews for their pad are the Endura FS260 pro bibs
  • Dippydog2
    Any thought on Rapha Classic?
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Dippydog2 wrote:

Just had a pair delivered, will let you know tomorrow ;)

What I would say having just tried them on is the sizing is generous and the pad is uber nice and thick. Not sat on saddle yet though

Classic guarantee gives you 30 days to make your mind up though :)

Previous shorts are Assos T.607, fi.Mille and S7 Cento (which REALLY didn't fit make shape)
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Dippydog2
    IC. wrote:
    Dippydog2 wrote:

Just had a pair delivered, will let you know tomorrow ;)

What I would say having just tried them on is the sizing is generous and the pad is uber nice and thick. Not sat on saddle yet though

Classic guarantee gives you 30 days to make your mind up though :)

Previous shorts are Assos T.607, fi.Mille and S7 Cento (which REALLY didn't fit make shape)
    I like that idea.

Have ordered a pair.

Let's compare notes!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Rapha shorts aren't the best quality (at least mine aren't). Best shorts out there are the Assos S7 T.Cento by a country mile.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ic.
    Grill wrote:
    Rapha shorts aren't the best quality (at least mine aren't). Best shorts out there are the Assos S7 T.Cento by a country mile.

Strange, I just couldn't get those to fit at all. Found them cutting into the top of my left leg when out of the saddle. Very willing to accept it's me though, I did try three pairs in two different sizes. The pad is excellent. And the kuku penthouse, whilst totally daft in name, does seem a good idea

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    The kiss3 pad in my castelli velocissimo bibs is excellent :)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Grill
    DiscoBoy wrote:

The Progetto X2 is so much nicer... ;)
  • DiscoBoy
    Grill wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

The Progetto X2 is so much nicer... ;)

Funnily enough, I came back to this thread to edit my post to say that they have a pad that is supposed to be even better than the kiss3. So there you have it! :)

I'm not certain, though, that I would buy the more expensive castelli bibs, because I am still not sure about how long castelli stuff lasts compared to the competitors. At £75 I don't mind, but at the price of the more expensive bibs, I would.

edit: that said, you can get the X2 pad in shorts from about £90 on wiggle... tempting...
  • Grill
    Both my Body Paint and Aero Race bibs are doing quite well. Certainly better than my Rapha's.
  • DiscoBoy
    Grill wrote:
    Both my Body Paint and Aero Race bibs are doing quite well. Certainly better than my Rapha's.

That's good to hear. The Aero race are available for £91 on wiggle... the trouble is that I am a large, so would have to get them in white/black... hmm
  • I found the quality of the Rapha classics to be excellent. Beautifully made and very classy with a very comfy and cosseting chamois. Bloody things took days to dry though. This was the main reason i returned them.

I've now got the Assos S7 Equipe and these are in a different league. I was amazed to find the quality superior to Rapha and the attention to detail is crazy. I cant find a bad stitch anywhere. The pad is superb. Stupidly comfortable and very kind on the old jewels. They are really nicely styled too. At < £130 on Wiggle at the moment these are a bargain!
  • ic.
    Actually sub £110 if you use code TDF-1

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I ride Castelli Aero Race religiously - absolutely fabulous. Didnt get on with Rapha. I have the Kiss Pad in my Nanoflex water resistant winter shorts and its not even 10% as good as the progetto x2 pad.

Also look at the Etxeondo stuff on Merlin - lots of Assos owners saying it is just as good for a third of the price at the discounts Merlin are doing. The Orhi is superb as is the Dicolor.
  • ajhapps
    ajhapps Posts: 16
    +1 for the Castelli progetto x2 pad. Best I've had to date!
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    The cytech pad in the DHB Aeron pro is really good. They're £65 a pair, but if you have or know someone with platinum discount it comes down to £57, buy two pairs and you can also use the code TDF-1 for £15 off, so two pairs for under £100 instead of £130.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Ive been looking at those Aeron Pros as they are a good price, is that TDF code only running through the tour? How do you know about it?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Miles253 wrote:
    Ive been looking at those Aeron Pros as they are a good price, is that TDF code only running through the tour? How do you know about it?

The code is displayed on the Wiggle homepage, and yeah I assume it's just for the tour. I've got a pair and the pad is really good. My only gripe is the material the shorts are made from feels a little 'rough' when you first put them on, but I've never noticed it after that so it's not something that would put me off buying more.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Might be a no brainer, for my kind of budget thats great.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group