What do you think?

norgles
norgles Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have been into mountain biking for ages but over the last 12 months have really started to enjoy road riding too. I was quite happy with my £500 boardman until I spent a few hours on my friends carbon roadbike. The difference in speed, acceleration and climbing ability was quite staggering and now I want one :D

I have budgeted around £3k and I am thinking of ordering this:

Ribble R872 Carbon Road Frame
Shimano Di2 Ultegra 6870 11Spd Groupset
Shimano Clipless SPD-SL 6800 Ultegra Carbon Pedals
Mavic Pr WTS Cosmic Carbon SLS Wheels
ITM Pathom 2 Full Carbon Handlebars
ITM Aries Full Carbon Stem
ITM Pathom Carbon Monocoque Seatpillar
Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Flow Saddle

Question is do you guys think I could get anything better / lighter for the same budget? Most of the rides I do will be between 50 and 100 miles and contain lots of hills.

Also I know a lot of people seem to dislike Ribble but no one I speak to seems to be able to quantify why and the professional reviews I have read (especially on the R872) all seem glowing. So I would really appreciate some constructive feedback in this area too.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    norgles wrote:
    Question is do you guys think I could get anything better / lighter for the same budget? Most of the rides I do will be between 50 and 100 miles and contain lots of hills.

IMO You could certainly get something more interesting for your money. The spec sheet looks good but I personally feel that it outclasses the frame. If I was doing a bike build I would aim at least half the budget at a top notch frame that I can slowly do justice to with upgrades.

What bike did your friend have that you rode?
  • norgles
    Thanks for the reply. My friend has the same frame I am looking at. His spec is:

R872
    Ultegra 10Spd Mechanical
    Planet X Aero Style Wheels (Not sure on model sorry)

It is getting quite confusing to be honest. Some people say invest in good wheels as that makes more difference than the frame and then others say the opposite.

What don't you like about the R872 frame?
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    For me it just doesn't excite me. Maybe the name, R872 isn't the catchiest. If you've ridden it and it goes well for you then by all means ignore me!

I will just add that the Ribble bike builder may not offer best value for money on the finishing kit. I noticed their Ultegra 6800 pedals are £20 more than I payed.

You may get a better deal purchasing frame and groupsets separately but that does mean the added hassle of assembling yourself.
  • norgles
    I am quite handy with a spanner. I have never built a new bike but have stripped my Mountain Bike down several times for a full service so should be ok. I will price up doing the build myself. Thanks for your help :)
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    lawrences wrote:
    For me it just doesn't excite me. Maybe the name, R872 isn't the catchiest. If you've ridden it and it goes well for you then by all means ignore me!

I will just add that the Ribble bike builder may not offer best value for money on the finishing kit. I noticed their Ultegra 6800 pedals are £20 more than I payed.

You may get a better deal purchasing frame and groupsets separately but that does mean the added hassle of assembling yourself.

It is just you! Biased as I have one, but the 872 is from the same mold as De Rosa 838 which everyone praises as being stunning etc as it has Italian heritage (non-withstanding the fact that it's made in the Far East!).

Whatever it's origins the frame is fantastic. Personally I would be putting Ultegra 6800 on it with that budget and a nice set of wheels and watch it fly. Mine is at 8kgs but with a more lavish budget 7kgs is easily achievable. It has fairly racy geo (145mm head tube in the size M I ride) so be aware of that. It's no sit up and beg sportive bike.
  • norgles
    lawrences wrote:

It is just you! Biased as I have one, but the 872 is from the same mold as De Rosa 838 which everyone praises as being stunning etc as it has Italian heritage (non-withstanding the fact that it's made in the Far East!).

Whatever it's origins the frame is fantastic. Personally I would be putting Ultegra 6800 on it with that budget and a nice set of wheels and watch it fly. Mine is at 8kgs but with a more lavish budget 7kgs is easily achievable. It has fairly racy geo (145mm head tube in the size M I ride) so be aware of that. It's no sit up and beg sportive bike.

Thanks for this. With the spec I listed at the top what would you change? I thought the wheels and cockpit I had selected were pretty good?