SAB frames at Planet X

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
In the market for a new bike and may build my own from scratch. What are SAB frames like?

Seen them cheap at Planet X and looking at an all round bike with an emphasis on fast sportives, hilly rides and hopefully crits.

The Sab Domagnano and R4.0 are the 2 I am looking at. Also any recommendation on a fork?

Thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Not featured in any catalogue available online from SAB. The company went bust and the brand was bought by Planet X... who obviously claimed it was "legendary"... when in fact it is not. Born in 1990 in San Marino, arguably an Italian enclave, I have never seen a SAB bike in Italy, although to be fair I come from a place 400 miles away from San Marino.

The idea is for 50 quid is worth a punt, how bad can it possilby be? Chances are it is pretty decent frame and someone your age doesn't need much crap to propell him at speed.

Moral, if the budget is tight, go for it!
    left the forum March 2023
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Note that the bottom bracket is Italian, and its got an integrated headset.

I'd much rather have an English threaded BB as that's what all the bikes I've ever owned have had, but it's probably not impossible to source Italian threaded bbs. (!)

No idea what forks are compatible though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    craker wrote:
    and its got an integrated headset.

No idea what forks are compatible though.

The fork doesn't care if the headset is integrated or not. Any fork with the correct steerer size will work with that frame. Fork rake and blades length is pretty standard, so I am sure that's not a problem either
    left the forum March 2023
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    I bought one and for £100 it was a bargain. Don't be fooled by the Italian BB. A mate also got one and our LBS fitted an Ultegra BB in it no problem. He now has a spare Italian BB which he no longer needs!
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Not featured in any catalogue available online from SAB. The company went bust and the brand was bought by Planet X... who obviously claimed it was "legendary"... when in fact it is not. Born in 1990 in San Marino, arguably an Italian enclave, I have never seen a SAB bike in Italy, although to be fair I come from a place 400 miles away from San Marino.

The idea is for 50 quid is worth a punt, how bad can it possilby be? Chances are it is pretty decent frame and someone your age doesn't need much crap to propell him at speed.

Moral, if the budget is tight, go for it!

Surely PX not guilty of hyperbole?! Bought one on a whim as a winter bike project. I went for one of the alu/carbon ones. My friend built up one of the orange frames they had going for £60 and it is surprisingly nice. Total cost all-in for the bike was £440.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Good frames - nothing wrong with them whatsoever. Not seeing a SAB in Italy is no big deal - I can't remember the last time I saw a 'legendary' Raleigh over here...