What size Rockrider should I buy?

omarm
omarm Posts: 73
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm going to buy my first semi serious bike

I'm going to buy a rockrider (after having done loads of research)

What size should I buy?
I'm 5' 9". Inside leg is 84cm.
The btwin size chart indicates medium
When I tried the bikes in decathlon I preferred the large size

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Omar

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You've mixed your units a bit, but I make that an inside leg of just under 34" which is long for your height, so your arms are also likely to be long for your height, that will tend to need to make you move up a size frame, it's what fits you, though as a general rule if you fall between two frame sizes it's better to get the smaller of the two.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • _james
    _james Posts: 15
    The Rookie wrote:
    You've mixed your units a bit, but I make that an inside leg of just under 34" which is long for your height, so your arms are also likely to be long for your height, that will tend to need to make you move up a size frame, it's what fits you, though as a general rule if you fall between two frame sizes it's better to get the smaller of the two.

Interesting. Not to hijack the thread, but im ~6ft (183cm). I fall into the L category on paper, but when I went into Decathlon, I was told it's best to go UP a size (to XL) which starts at 185cm.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's the size on paper, I'm saying if you fall between two sizes in reality which is the only way of finding the right size in the first place.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • omarm
    omarm Posts: 73
    thanks for the replies guys

i've bought a medium sized rockrider 5.3!
    got a great price

if i had purchased in decathlon... i would have bought a large size
    even now... the medium size look titchy!

i dont have super long legs and arms :)
    if the number seems high... then i have given it wrong
    i'm just a normal 5' 9" bloke. lol

i've got the bike home and have a mini problem. i've posted in another thread

EDIT: i posted this reply before twice!... for some reason it hasnt appeared
    ASIDE: this forum is super buggy... it's impossible to log into the forum from a mobile the front of the website - it keeps looping back
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    No comment on the bike but agree on the log in issue
    Advocate of disc brakes.