2-3k What to go for?

J273
J273 Posts: 382
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Im more of a mtb rider than roadie but after selling my ribble R872 last year i miss it and fancy another.

Ideally would like to spend 2K but could stretch to 3. Im tempted with the westbrook deal with the foil 15 di2 electric pack and i could get it under my budget to complete the build.

Are there any decent deals out there on full build for my budget or do you think the Scotts on westbrook are hard to beat for the price.

Many thanks

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I had only read the title and I was going to suggest Ultegra Di2 built around a frame of your choice. How good are the scott 15's I haven't heard much about them before.

Will have plenty left for some nice wheels.

I've been bored at work so I've been costing up how much it would cost to build up a Felt AR1 with Ultegra di2. Bit of a pipe dream at the moment but it's cheaper than a pre-built.
  • stuyd
    stuyd Posts: 207
    I too like the look of this deal.
    time to man up.
  • lawrences
    I've had a look at that deal now and it doesn't look that great.

A 3 year old frame and you're effectively paying £450 for it (with 6800). Plus external battery on an aero frame is several shades of wrong.

Also they seem to be out of stock.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Cycle division had the complete build for 2100 the other week, only XXS was showing on line but they had more in stock.
    At the bottom to middle of the same price range I looked at some Treks including the Emonda, a Giant TCR advanced IIRC, Ribble and Dolan, Bianchi Sempre and Impulso but in the end I got a Ridley Noah RS with Ultegra, Rotor chainset and Ksyrium Elite S for 2300. Really enjoyed riding up to the Dales Saturday, got the chain stuck between the chain ring and thechain stay but the ride back along the Aire Valley was fast.
  • Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    lawrences wrote:
    A 3 year old frame and you're effectively paying £450 for it

Has it gone off or something?
  • lawrences
    lawrences wrote:

You could do better for your money.
  • Slo Mo Jones
    edited July 2014
    lawrences wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

You could do better for your money.

By paying more for a 2014/2015 frame of the same shape and material, but with a different colour scheme?

Has frame technology moved on considerably in the last 3 years? The frames released in the last 2 years of exactly the same shape and material with different colour schemes - are they much faster?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Of course they aren't much faster, there are C59s being ridden in the tour this year for example.
  • lawrences
    If I was spending 2-3k on bike I'd build it around exactly the frame I want. Not what Westbrooks happened to buy too many of in 2012.

Also technology has moved on to some extent, with direct mount brakes and internal batteries.
  • Slo Mo Jones
    lawrences wrote:
    If I was spending 2-3k on bike I'd build it around exactly the frame I want.

Ah, I see. So you're not providing a useful response at all.

Just checking.
  • lawrences
    Likewise.
  • lawrences
    100 quid says you ride a 2012 Scott foil 15 and you're being a fanboy right now.
  • mfin
    lawrences wrote:
    100 quid says you ride a 2012 Scott foil 15 and you're being a fanboy right now.

While you're at it £100 says you are a marketing department's dream, actually, you owe me £100
  • lawrences
    I was talking to Slo Mo he's definitely on a Scott.
  • mfin
    lawrences wrote:
    I was talking to Slo Mo he's definitely on a Scott.

I know, and I was talking to you because you definitely get suckered in by marketing.
  • Slo Mo Jones
    lawrences wrote:

You owe me £100.

My next bike purchase was almost certainly going to be an Enigma Etape. Or is that money wasted given that the frame was first on sale in 2008?

Still, better than my current bike

40759696.JPG

Sorry for not aligning the cranks to the downtube.
  • lawrences
    Enigma Etape will be a more comfortable ride than a Foil.

Technically those cranks are aligned with an infinitesimally small section of that downtube.

You can have your 100 quid when I see you next.