hub buggered in 3 months...

richardrenshaw
richardrenshaw Posts: 32
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hello, not sure where to post this sorry if it's not the right section...

I had a worrying clicking, creaking, pinging noise that seemed to vibrate through the whole frame. The LBS changed the BB and tightened the rear spokes. 2 miles later the noise was back, so I took it back to the shop who this afternoon said the free hub is causing it.

When I got home I was curious so remove the back wheel and got out my spanners, I removed the axle to check the bearings, on the drive side the bearings, cone and cups are all knackered, the cone and cup are deeply pitted and the bearings have been swimming in rusty brown paste for god knows how long.

The other side is fine though.

The hub is a write off AFAIK, never seen this level of deterioration ever, let alone on a 3 month old bike! Would warranty cover this do you think?

Also massively annoyed that the lbs didn't spot this during the service! Would I be wrong to expect bearings to be checked on a service?

Advice would be appreciated before I start phoning the retailer.

Peace.

Comments

• If you paid for a service did you not establish what would be done in that service? That becomes your contract and if it said service hubs it should have been done - if it didn't ...

Hard to say if manufacturers warranty may cover a hub damaged by water ingress as it depends so much on how, where, when the bike was ridden. I suppose you could argue that if it had been set up properly in the first place it should never have happened.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Just over 3 months ago we had the floods, maybe you were out riding the new bike in that weather?

You describe the hub as being full of "rusty brown paste". I have had hubs like this and I've put new bearings in, bit of a clean up, soak the freehub in oil and they are pretty much ok. The paste is rust flavoured grease :)

If there really is bad pitting to the cones and cups then it's a lot of parts to replace. For a cheap ( £100-ish) wheel it's probably more cost effective to simply replace it.

I agree that 3 months seems quick to destroy parts like this but some types of bike parts simply do not seem to be weather proof. My experience is that generally Shimano hubs are good to average for weather resistance, Hope are excellent and Ambrosio are awful.

If the seals do not keep out water and the design of the hub traps water then they probably need servicing after every wet ride.
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    If you would, what brand is the wheel? The time frame of only 3 months seems short for a failure as you describe your wheel's bearing's condition. I've had many bearings, in different locations, that lacked the slightest amount of grease in them from the manufacturer, over the years.

I got in the habit of checking all the wheel, bottom bracket and head set bearings when I got a new bicycle, first thing. A lot of years racing motocross taught me the manufacturers can be stingy with the grease, or just careless on the assembly process. Even with the heavy rains you in the UK had lately 3 months is short for a bearing to destruct, I feel that the LBS should be contacted and shown the wheel and its bearing. Not confrontation-ally, just to get things started, it doesn't hurt to see what you can get done with a bicycle that new, unless you had mega-miles already logged on the bicycle :shock: .

Best of luck, and don't write the wheel off, as said above, unless the race is totally shot things can be cleaned up and new bearings installed if possible. Don't forget the grease :roll: , either :wink: .
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • Hi, thanks for taking time to reply.

The hub is a Formula DC22 which was standard on my bike which is a Saracen Hack II.

I'm pretty sure the hub is doomed there's some pretty deep pits on the cup.

I spoke to the bike shop who say the warranty might be invalid as I have tampered with it, but they said they will have a look. That annoyed me massively but I figure I'll let them have a look and cross that bridge if I come to it!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I too, always check the factory grease and for UK conditions, pack as much in as I can. this is not recommended for racing but works well for normal cycling, even with unsealed hubs.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I spoke to the bike shop who say the warranty might be invalid as I have tampered with it, but they said they will have a look. That annoyed me massively but I figure I'll let them have a look and cross that bridge if I come to it!

I'd say that that is crap. From what you said, they examined the hub superficially, said it was the cause of the problem and sent you home whereupon you immediately dismantled it (a normal service practice). If there is a warranty issue here, then the only reason that you 'tampered' with it is because the bike shop didn't check it themselves. They should have either dismantled it themselves or raised it as a potential warranty issue there and then.

What is the mileage on the bike?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You probably have a claim under the sales of goods act by itself. The problem is getting a replacement freehub for a formula hub. the retailer of the bike should help in this case as they sold you the bike. You might get a new wheel out of it and the liekly cause is insufficent grease being packed in and the cones being done up to tight to begin with. Even a cheap hub should do a few thousand miles but don't expect any replacement to last forever either, it's a low end hub/wheel.

Sales of goods act quote that.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    personally, though it should last more than 3 months. if for example you aimed a pressure washer at it, then a few days is all it would take to wreck the hub and that is what the importers/LBS will say, BUT ask you never know!
    So, you can spend time, stress and effort getting a £50 wheel or you can just buy a cheap set of HB s or some fulcrum 7s or Aksiums and forget about this experience.
  • I could let it go, you're right. But I'm not wired up that way haha.

Although I've been looking at some wheels, just in case... any thoughts on crank brothers cobalt... they're on sale...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Pressure washers should never be used on a bike unless you want to ruin it.

For wheels buy a spoke count appropriate to your weight not what is the cheapest or with the biggest discount. No experience of crank brother wheels and I am not likely to have any either.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    I'd be for pursuing the shop for a warranty claim, even if you "tampered" with the assembly. As I understand the UK Sale of Goods law, they are still responsible for a failure. (Not sure about that, feel free to correct me, please.)

+1 on not using a pressure washer, they are a bane to bicycles and motorcycles for bearing life and destroying electronics. I didn't see where the OP ever used a pressure washer, so that is just a "for what its worth statement". They blow out grease too easily, and many components don't come with enough quality grease in their bearings, where applicable. New components with bearings or bushings get a check and grease if needed when I bring something home, as a rule. Too many bad experiences in motocross racing as a teenager and again recently on dirt bikes.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • Thanks.

I don't own a pressure washer, soapy water, sponge and watering can does for me...

Still not got round to sending them the wheel yet been busy but hoping the retailer will come good.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    If you can't get acceptable warranty service or replacement, then I'd try a regular clean and lube with fresh grease. Since it has cups and cones, maybe buy a package of new bearings.
    A good re-grease and proper adjustment of the cones is often all that is needed.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • JayKosta wrote:
    If you can't get acceptable warranty service or replacement, then I'd try a regular clean and lube with fresh grease. Since it has cups and cones, maybe buy a package of new bearings.
    A good re-grease and proper adjustment of the cones is often all that is needed.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

Finally got around to it and the shop has replaced the freewheel assembly and the axle and cone nuts, seems to have done the trick!

Lesson learned... I'll check any new bike straight away in future!

Thanks for all the advice