Maybe another BB30 issue

hanhamreds
hanhamreds Posts: 100
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi all...
So I have a Boardman CX Team 2014, it's already been in Halfords and had the BB regreased, then what seemed like a short period later into my LBS who tightened my left crank using his Park big clicker. All this was because of a creaking\cracking left crank.

Well I've just been for another ride and it sounds terrible again every time I put some serious power through it.

Now I do not own a torque wrench, let alone one that will cope with the Nm needed to tighten the BB30, so I've been using a 10mm allen key to make sure its nice and tight over the last few rides. But after tonight I decided to remove the left arm and take a look. Well there's still loads of grease in there so I put the arm back on, made sure I didn't over tighten and took it round the block - no issues what so ever!

So can I have the thoughts of anyone who has very good knowledge of my crank\bb, I particularly welcome pro bike mechanics on this.

I recognise that I do need a torque wrench and have seen a nice on in toolstation which is a lot cheaper than the park one - so I will be purchasing that.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Tweet Chris Boardman - it's remarkably effective. I was having trouble sourcing a mech hanger for my CX Team after busting one and Halfords quoted me over a month. Tweeted CB - 2 hours later I had a mail from one if his underlings - 2 days later I had a hanger (clearly pinched off a bike from the witness marks)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    LOLs
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The reason BB30's creak is due to water / dirt / corrosion of the bearings - it's a cr@p design. Don't spend your money on a torque wrench, save a bit more and buy some cranks with a different BB design.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I should add that there's a Boardman CX Owners thread over on Commuting Chat that's been running a few years now - probably a good resource
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Also, look into some good, quality bearings with good seals. You can get separate good seals, too, if the bearings are still in good nick.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...