2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Grisley Paul
Grisley Paul Posts: 186
edited July 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Can't take credit for the build, but is a bit different to the off the shelf bike...

2013 Mega AM Medium
Rockshox Lyrik RC2DH 170mm solo air 20mm
Rockshox Monarch Plus High Volume
Hope Hoops - Mavic 717 to Pro Evo 2 hubs
Nobby Nic on back (dual compound)
Hans Dampf 2.35 on front (supersoft)
XT Levers with SLX calipers
203mm Aztec disc front
180mm Aztec disc rear
1 x 10 setup comprising;
Zee Cranks mated to Hope 32t retaining ring
Zee rear mech
Zee shifter
Nukeproof warhead 760mm bars
Nukeproof warhead 60mm stem
Nukeproof grips
BBB seatpost
Nukeproof warhead saddle
Nukeproof Electron pedals

My first ''proper'' mtb and all I can say is WOW, you do get what you pay for :D

MegaAM1_zps3f4d3c14.jpg
MegaAM2_zps7bbc7dec.jpg
MegaAM3_zpsa7ffadd2.jpg

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    anything's gonna look good next to the bins!

But reckon that'd look good anywhere...neat
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Very nice mate, great bikes aren't they :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice. Similar build to my mates Mega AM. He found that it rode better with the fork dropped to 160mm.
    The light XC rims are an odd choice, I would swap them for something more appropriate for a burly bike.
  • Grisley Paul
    Very nice. Similar build to my mates Mega AM. He found that it rode better with the fork dropped to 160mm.
    The light XC rims are an odd choice, I would swap them for something more appropriate for a burly bike.

Few quotes of the 717's taken from various sites, there's such a thing as over speccing something for the sake of it

"As mentioned, stronger than you'd expect the 717s. I used to land 7 foot drop offs (to transition) on a hardtail on a CRC built pair and they never troubled me. Great rims!"

twohats - Member
    Stronger than you'd expect for a XC rim!
    I've just killed a 5 year old 717 that's had a very hard life. In that time its done 2 weeks every year doing lift assisted riding in the Alps, countless weekends here at various bike parks doing yet more lift assisted riding, tons of street riding, dirt jumping and the occasional XC ride! I only trashed it in a big off, although it has been looking a little tired the last few years.
    You can ride whatever you like on them, but you do need to ride with a bit of finesse to make them last.
    Very strong rims considering what they're intended for...

Excellent tough rim - tougher than the DT 4.1 or 4.2 in my experience. built properly they are tough, i'm yet to buckle one, dinged yes, but buckled no. Won't take a big tyre thou.

Well they've been rolling nicely under my 16st ass for a few years now, with no problems & have stayed straight & true.

I use 2.3" tyres on 717's with no problems, they're very good rims, strong and light.
    Mine have done loads of Lakes/Peaks rocky riding plus places like Spain, Alps, Pyrenees.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Nice bike, I kinda fancy trying one, as mine is the little brother of this and feels very capable. These must be proper machines on the descents!
    Get a dropper post though, makes a helluva difference.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Grisley Paul
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Nice bike, I kinda fancy trying one, as mine is the little brother of this and feels very capable. These must be proper machines on the descents!
    Get a dropper post though, makes a helluva difference.

Cheers, they are indeed awesome bits of kit

Reverb stealth fitted last week :wink:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Excellent ;) Wish I had the cash for a stealth one.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5