New helmet

paulbnix
paulbnix Posts: 632
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I sweat a lot when cycling so the sweat bands in my helmet suffer.
I have a Boardman helmet that has fairly thin material covered foam pads that attach to velcro strips in the helmet.
These work pretty well and are washable but deteriorate and start to come apart and you cannot get spares.
So I'd like a helmet that has easily removable pads that are also available as spares.
Any suggestions please?

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Most of the big players should also sell spares. Might be worth buying some spare pads at the same time as the helmet to 'future proof' your purchase.

Have you considered wearing a cap or similar under your helmet? I find a cap absorbs sweat and alleviates sweat running into my eyes and stinging like a bi7ch!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Giro Aeon
  • Too Fast
    Too Fast Posts: 17
    I have a Kask Mojito which is light and well ventilated. You can get spare pads which are readily available.
  • Too Fast wrote:
    I have a Kask Mojito which is light and well ventilated. You can get spare pads which are readily available.

I have the Kask Mojito and it is great.
    I tried a similarly priced Giro and it didn't fit my head well- the Kask did so I bought it.

To the OP- go and try a few on, you'll never know what suits your noggin until you do and picking stuff from online reviews won't tell you much.
    Decide on a price and try on a bunch and go with the one that fits the best.
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    Kask have an offer on now for the Vertigo, trade your old helmet in. Here's the article i saw http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/kask-l ... sty/016597.
    Trust it helps.
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    That's a cracking deal sophidog !!
    I'd put that in the bargain thread if I were you ;)
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I too am on the look out for a new helmet, as my MET Velono is now about 7 years old and is showing its age despite changing the pads a few times. It is also really a XC helmet, although does OK on the road with the visor removed.

I am after a low profile helmet.

I popped into the Liverpool Evans shop to try a few on. The Louis Garneau Course was a delight, although out of my price range. The Quartz was also pretty good. I would advise the Sharp, as the cradle system is delicate to say the least. However, all were very low profile and looked good.

After looking around online I am also considering the Lazer O2, Bell Array, Uvex Ultrasonic Race and Carerra Razor and Radius. However, Liverpool is severely lacking in bike shops and dealers to try things on in. Can anyone recommend other low profile helmets?

I do not like to see exposed foam as I think it looks cheap.

That KASK deal looks pretty awesome, although again a more than I want to spend
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Most of the big players should also sell spares. Might be worth buying some spare pads at the same time as the helmet to 'future proof' your purchase.

Have you considered wearing a cap or similar under your helmet? I find a cap absorbs sweat and alleviates sweat running into my eyes and stinging like a bi7ch!

This.

Now I've started cycling with a cap I'm not sure how I could ever see where I was going for all the sweat in my eyes previously.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC