Tyres

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hello,

I've been riding a mountain bike for years and have recently bought a road bike.

However going from disc brakes and chunky tyres has been a bit of a relevation and I find my back end sliding out alot.

Are there any road tyres out there for a bit more grip on corners and in the wet?

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mark909 wrote:
    However going from disc brakes and chunky tyres has been a bit of a relevation and I find my back end sliding out alot.

:lol:

Welcome to the world of road bike brakes and tyres, you'll get used to it to some extent, I certainly have.

As for a good tyre I'd recommend the Vittoria Corsa Evo CX but nothing will ever compare to MTB tyres / disc brakes :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Vittoria Corsa Evo CX are excellent tyres, but more of a race tyre and will cut up quite easily. For more general use you could look at Conti GP4000S or Michelin Pro4 Service Course.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Yes, sorry, I should have said the Vittoria Corsa Evo CX is not a particularly hard wearing tyre.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Mark909 wrote:
    Are there any road tyres out there for a bit more grip on corners and in the wet?

Difficult to suggest an alternative tyre, without knowing what you already have...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Running wider tyres and not pumping them to the maximum pressure will help with grip in the wet as well as your riding style - simply push too hard in the wet and your rear wheel will slide regardless of the make of tyre.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..