Disc Rotors For Road/Cyclocross

monkimark
monkimark Posts: 1,891
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Anything in particular I should be looking out for with disc brake rotors for a cyclocross/road bike? I got a new pair of wheels with 6 bolt fittings so my old rotors can't be transferred across, I had an old rotor lying around that's gone on the rear but need to buy one for the front.

Presumably any 160mm, 6 bolt rotor will do and floating rotors are not required?

It's for a BB7 road caliper if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Floating rotors don't work with many road disc set-ups because of clearance issues. TBH I've never really noticed the difference between different rotors and never worn a pair of discs out on the road in 9 years of using them.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    As above, floating rotors are just a way to make you spend more money... they have alleged credentials which don't stack up to the science... I have never been able to wear a set of discs and I think they are all much of a muchness
    left the forum March 2023
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    Cheers guys, that's what I figured. Got myself an Avid HS1 as it was cheap from chainreaction, plus it has titanium bolts for that all important 4g weight saving :wink: