Currently 3x10, Chainest/BB needs replacing - what options?

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Currently 3x10, Chainest/BB needs replacing - what options?

The BB on my bike needs replacing, most of the kit on it is XT, other than STX shifters, and a "Shimano - no model" chainset.

So looking to purchase a new Shimano Chainset with BB. To be honest the MTB gets used the least, I ride mainly on my Road bike and CX, but when it does get ridden its on proper MTB trails and the odd few races.

First of all, what are the differences in weight performance between Deore/STX/XT? Are the rings the main difference, i.e. the crank arms are of a similar spec? What will give the best bang for my buck.

If I want to go 2x10, will I have issues with the current shifter, front mech (i.e. designed for 3x10?).

If I want to go 1x10, my understanding is I will need triple, so I can remove inner and outer chain ring and keep a good chain alignment? I would also look to put a Narrow/Wide ring on. Realistically (and happy to do trial and error) what other purchases do I need to consider for this? The mech is a standard Shadow XT (not + with a clutch?), the chain will need a new link to shorten it, do I need alignment/guides/guards - or is there a good chance I can live without them?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Everything (rings and arms) is a bit lighter as you move up the food tree. SLX has a better BB (sealing wise) than Deore which alone makes it worth the extra.

Your current shifter will work fine with 2x, but the front mech may not as it's ranps are/may be in the wrong place.

a triple is better for a 1x, but doubles can be used (and look nicer), personally without a damped rear mech I'd run an upper chain guide at least (which could be your old front mech!) but many claim it isn't needed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    This thread needs a Food CHAIN and some sLx
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    SLX is best value. The weight difference between SLX and XT is very small. They both have the same BB.
    Personally I prefer to use Deore steel chain rings because they last a lot longer than SLX or XT aluminium rings.
  • SLX then - seems good value £/lb.

Really not sure if to go 1x or 2x. Just did a local race last night with my stiff and gritty bottom bracket (and a loose headset - some work to be done!), I never used the big ring! I perhaps used the smallest/middle rings about 60/40.

What I did note was that I quite often used the front rinfd for big shifts rather than work through the cassette, this is not an option with a 1x, but may require a change in technique. I aint going to win any races, but I would like to hold my own where possible, I am fine on the climbs, loose time on flat and downhills.

I am not flush with cash at the moment, the 2x10 option requires the full chain set (inc BB) - and possible a new Front Mech? The 1x10 options requires the full chain set (inc BB), new chain ring, possibly some other bits!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I am not flush with cash at the moment, the 2x10 option requires the full chain set (inc BB) - and possible a new Front Mech? The 1x10 options requires the full chain set (inc BB), new chain ring, possibly some other bits!
    If going 1x, you have the brand new rings to sell.....

Alternatively buy some decent used bits, I have a used XT HT2 crankset, bought a used E13 SS ring, a used bash and made an inner guide ring for less than £10, sold the XT rings, total cost was about £60. (all fitted to the bike in the top link in my sig).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have gone for a SLX tripple for now, going to get it fitted as is, and run 3 x 10 for a bit longer, this is the cheapest and least problematic option for now.... then I may experiment with 1x10, if I feel the need.